Board logo

3D modelling for a noob
Pezza - 31/5/07 at 07:43 PM

Right, after some 3d design/cad type software or whatever it is.
Easy to learn for a complete noob to design software like myself.
What do you guys recomend?

Cheers
Pez

flak monkey - 31/5/07 at 07:48 PM

I can send you a d/l link for ProD. Its a legit copy from when it was freeware. No liscencing issues.

Send me a U2U if you want a copy.

Solidworks is easier to work, but the liscence is a bugger sometimes.

David

[Edited on 31/5/07 by flak monkey]

CAD Monkey - 31/5/07 at 08:13 PM

I would look for something like Autodesk Inventor, or Solidworks, or maybe Rhino - is this for a career thing or just on a private/personal level?

[Edited on 31/5/07 by CAD Monkey]

Pezza - 31/5/07 at 08:19 PM

Private thing, once the indy is finished I want to build a chopper (fab the frame etc)
Plus it's another skill learnt

ayoungman - 31/5/07 at 08:23 PM

Pro Desktop is very easy to learn, plus there are loads of downloadable tutorials on the web now. I teach it to 12 year olds and they grasp it after two or three lessons.

peterriley2 - 31/5/07 at 09:19 PM

easiest by far to learn is sketchup, but is only really for archiatects and cant do really complex structures. i really dont like prodesktop, and i find stuff like rhino and autocad very hard to grasp. dont know how much you use computers or condone pirating but you can download solidworks which is industry standard very easily on torrent, i got one from snarf-it.org i think.

Pezza - 31/5/07 at 09:27 PM

I haven't paid for any software in god knows how many years lol

JamJah - 31/5/07 at 09:28 PM

Sketchup is as powerful as the person using it. It is as powerful in all aspects as other applications mention except in rendering (even that its can be made more powerful with add ins).

bpgoa - 31/5/07 at 11:16 PM

if you want a one off... and want to stay legal... you can download the latest release (2007) of Autocad 3d fully functional.. with a 30 day try license for free...

rendering is a bit basic.. (use 3d studio max if you want bells and whistles) but i found it easy to learn..
I read the tutorial before installing it... and modelled the front suspension in the first night..

good luck..

chrisg - 1/6/07 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by peterriley2
easiest by far to learn is sketchup, but is only really for archiatects and cant do really complex structures. i really dont like prodesktop, and i find stuff like rhino and autocad very hard to grasp. dont know how much you use computers or condone pirating but you can download solidworks which is industry standard very easily on torrent, i got one from snarf-it.org i think.

This is sketchup, you can model to 0.0000001 of a mm, I love it!

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 1/6/07 by chrisg]

Pezza - 2/6/07 at 06:35 PM

Got solidworks and been going through the tutorials for now

Anyone know and good online cad libraries?
Better yet anyone got a locost style chassis model?