Board logo

Haynes Manuals!
Confused but excited. - 4/6/07 at 12:43 PM

I went to Halfrauds to get a manual for the Espace that I have just aquired. They had a copy of Chris's 'Build your own....' so I bought one. You know how you do. WELL DONE THAT MAN! It must be the best presented technical manual I have ever seen and I have seen a lot.
Imagine my dismay then, when I arrived home and unwrapped the Espace manual from it's sealed plastic wrapper. What a pile of crap!
Cheap recycled grey newsprint (that my grandfather would say "wasn't fit to be torn into squares and hung on a nail", crappy little photos and the information that I needed it for is not in it!
To top it all it was more expenive than Chris' book that was printed on high quality paper with excellent CAD colour illustrations.
I have a few Haynes Manuals and looking through them, the quality seems to be getting worse, not better, as time goes on.
Anyone else remember when robbers wore masks?

Rant over! I feel so much better now.

02GF74 - 4/6/07 at 12:47 PM

robbers are all high tech now and sit behind keyboards.

modern cars are not meant to be taken apart other than at the stealership - the manuals reflect that by being of low quality and lacking in information.

c'est la vie as renault would say.

iank - 4/6/07 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
robbers are all high tech now and sit behind keyboards.

modern cars are not meant to be taken apart other than at the stealership - the manuals reflect that by being of low quality and lacking in information.

c'est la vie as renault would say.

Which is why Haynes are having to branch out. It's actually worse as the older manuals for the same car are significantly better (both paper and information content). Worth scratching around car boots and charity shops for them these days.

Humbug - 4/6/07 at 01:43 PM

Talking of renault...

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/

chrisg - 4/6/07 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
I went to Halfrauds to get a manual for the Espace that I have just aquired. They had a copy of Chris's 'Build your own....' so I bought one. You know how you do. WELL DONE THAT MAN! It must be the best presented technical manual I have ever seen and I have seen a lot.
Imagine my dismay then, when I arrived home and unwrapped the Espace manual from it's sealed plastic wrapper. What a pile of crap!
Cheap recycled grey newsprint (that my grandfather would say "wasn't fit to be torn into squares and hung on a nail", crappy little photos and the information that I needed it for is not in it!
To top it all it was more expenive than Chris' book that was printed on high quality paper with excellent CAD colour illustrations.
I have a few Haynes Manuals and looking through them, the quality seems to be getting worse, not better, as time goes on.
Anyone else remember when robbers wore masks?

Rant over! I feel so much better now.

God bless you - the cheque's in the post

cheers

Chris

kit_car_kid06 - 8/6/07 at 08:57 AM

It was my birthday yesterday - recieved a Chris "build your own..." as a present from my brother.

I must say, I agree with "Confused but excited" - an excellent manual with clear, well laid out diagrams!

Looking forward to starting the new project now!!

(Chris, please make cheques payable to..... )

David Jenkins - 8/6/07 at 09:03 AM

Check out Chris's forum as well - he recently posted some corrections and updates.

(His link's at the bottom of his post above! )

David