Board logo

Sat nav systems
davidwag - 9/6/07 at 08:11 AM

Hi Folks,

I was thinking of getting a cheap sat nav system and wanted some recommendations from those that have used them.

Was thinking maybe of Tomtom one?

David

Macbeast - 9/6/07 at 08:20 AM

G/F has Tomtom one and is very happy with it. Trouble is, her driving's gone to poo since she thinks Tomtom's in charge and pays less attention to the road.

Would recommend it though.

viatron - 9/6/07 at 08:20 AM

just bought the wife the £99 ay2be from maplin yesterday, tried it on the way home and seemed fine, note quite as good as my TomTom One but for the money i reckon its a bargain, comes complete with postcode search, windscreen mount,both car and mains charger, pc connection cable (mini usb) and an SD Card for storing MP3s whcih it will play, but why would you want to out of a tinny little speaker!! Oh and it even has a remote control with it!!

Link:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=115145&TabID=1&source=1&doy=9m6

HTH

Mac

PS: if you have the current maplin catalogue and spend a nother quid you can use the £5 off vaucher as well!

Jon Ison - 9/6/07 at 08:24 AM

I travel all over Europe with a Navman, always gets me there.

Mark Allanson - 9/6/07 at 09:07 AM

I use Autoroute on my laptop, the lady inside is a bit shy, when driving up country as I leave my gate, she says 'in 109.5 miles turn left and join M5'

If I get off route, there is no recalculation, just 'off rowt' in an american accent

RazMan - 9/6/07 at 09:08 AM

Another vote for Navman - the entry level F20 is hard to beat for the money.

JoelP - 9/6/07 at 09:13 AM

i got a tomtom1 and its good. Only two qualms i have with it is that the roadblock feature isnt easy to use (but then, i cant think of how to improve it either), and it should have a waypoint feature (ie remember this spot). which isnt actually waypoints, but you know what i mean.

[Edited on 9/6/07 by JoelP]

Benzine - 9/6/07 at 09:27 AM

I got something similar to this, never let me down.

Awesome GPS

martyn_16v - 9/6/07 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
ie remember this spot

Add Favourite -> GPS Location

davidwag - 9/6/07 at 09:47 AM

Hi Benzine,

Top quality item
Brand New High quality Silver Globe Shaped Compass For Adventurer Like Jones

Quantity: 1
QUALITY IS 100% GUARANTEED
Description:

This compass is crafted from solid plastic and easily sticks to your car or boat's desktop
The compass adopting water-floated magnet object design is accurately labeled in degree increments to indicate the orientation
It's perfect for camping, leisure hiking, and traveling
men of daring and adventurous endeavors carry a Compass.
Size: 80(w)*75(h) mm
Weight: 135g

It good to know its made from 100% solid plastic and not got any of the metal rubbish in it

David

arrybradbury - 9/6/07 at 12:01 PM

Sorry, small hijack, i've heard that the F20 only does area "safety camera" locations rather than on the exact road you're travelling along, is this true for those who've tried it? Is the tomtom one any better for this?

RazMan - 9/6/07 at 10:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by arrybradbury
Sorry, small hijack, i've heard that the F20 only does area "safety camera" locations rather than on the exact road you're travelling along, is this true for those who've tried it? Is the tomtom one any better for this?

Nope, it gives exact locations with a visible and audible alarm (boing!) and is adjustable for distance too. The database is updatable through the usual sources