Board logo

Fiat Coupe Project
MikeRJ - 23/7/07 at 11:38 AM

After requesting peoples thoughts on the 20VT a while back I did something silly...

I found a local car in great condition, going for pocket money. The catch was a persistant misfire and ridiculous amounts of smoke under boost.

Read about my foolishness in this thread. I have to say from the second I drove it I was hooked. Even running on 4 1/2 cylinders it went well, and the interior is lovely.

nick205 - 23/7/07 at 12:00 PM

Not my choice of car, but echoing the comments on thread - hats off for getting stuck in

Chr!S - 23/7/07 at 12:02 PM

Brave Project!

Are you near torbay? I have seen a red one 'appear' locally....

iank - 23/7/07 at 12:19 PM

Doesn't seem too bad so far, at least the broken ring doesn't seem to have destroyed the block - very lucky.

MikeRJ - 23/7/07 at 12:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chr!S
Brave Project!

Are you near torbay? I have seen a red one 'appear' locally....

No, I'm in Plymouth, though I work in Paignton.

scottc - 23/7/07 at 01:05 PM

Brave man. Nice motor though, and as Ian said quite lucky with that piston ring.

Scott.

scotlad - 23/7/07 at 02:02 PM

Wow its identical to my old one!! I wish i still had it! very very nice cars and fast too

Pezza - 23/7/07 at 04:03 PM

Another ocuk regular eh

hughjinjin - 23/7/07 at 06:24 PM

hi, any idea what caused it? If its been overheated you will need a complete piston set or it will always burn oil so check very carefully!

greggors84 - 23/7/07 at 07:22 PM

Removing the oil pickup to get the sump off sounds like a right pain in the backside.

Nice number plate by the way! Get that with the car?

Gav - 23/7/07 at 08:21 PM

Must admit ive only been in one once and it went like a rocket and sound fantastic too! shame about the costs for a cambelt change though!

[Edited on 23/7/07 by Gav]

MikeRJ - 23/7/07 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hughjinjin
hi, any idea what caused it? If its been overheated you will need a complete piston set or it will always burn oil so check very carefully!

One of the previous owners installing a pressure relief valve to up the boost. I suspect he got a bit carried away and suffered some detonation, especialy as the stock intercooler isn't up to the job when you crank the boost up.

The rings lands are a known weak point and one of the first casualties if you push it too far.

quote:
Originally posted by Gav
Must admit ive only been in one once and it went like a rocket and sound fantastic too! shame about the costs for a cambelt change though!

Having got this far, I wouldn't hesitate to change the belt myself in the future. It's really not that difficult. I have to wonder if the Fiat dealers really remove the engine anyway, or just charge £800 or so and do it the same way everyone else does...

[Edited on 23/7/07 by MikeRJ]