Board logo

Mondeo as donor
jnormandale - 5/1/08 at 07:56 PM

Has anyone considered using a mondeo as a donor car not just for the power plant but for the running gear also.

If not I am considering using a 2.0 L zetec power plant . Can this be used in conjunction with the sierra running gear for a haynes roadster inspired project?

onzarob - 5/1/08 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jnormandale
Has anyone considered using a mondeo as a donor car not just for the power plant but for the running gear also.

Its front wheel drive, so other than the engine the rest is no use

stevebubs - 5/1/08 at 08:23 PM

look left - 2.0 zetec from a W plate mondeo...

meany - 5/1/08 at 08:23 PM

i dare say there are other parts you could use. such as, steering column.
what fitting are the brake calipers?

stevebubs - 5/1/08 at 08:25 PM

alternatively, look at something like the Sylva mojo / Riot

Tim 45 - 5/1/08 at 09:03 PM

Why not go with the mk3 mondeo, and have a car like your avatar

coozer - 5/1/08 at 11:06 PM

The only thing thats worth using is the engine.
All the chassis components are no good for a locost
IMHO

speedyxjs - 6/1/08 at 09:28 AM

In uncle rons book, it says that front wheel drive locosts have been built before. I have never seen a picture of one but if you wanted to use the running gear, why not have a go

onzarob - 6/1/08 at 09:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
In uncle rons book, it says that front wheel drive locosts have been built before. I have never seen a picture of one but if you wanted to use the running gear, why not have a go

an you end up with something that look like this

It well built i think the OP thought the Mondeo running grear is similar to a sierra.

Recent Cars that are RWD and can be use are Ford, Mazda MX5 , BMW 3 seires, Merc 190.

HTH

....and a Jag

[Edited on 6-1-2008 by onzarob]

stig mills - 6/1/08 at 11:40 AM

Great idea using a Mundaneo!
I use them all the time. £50 will get you a nail but there are excellent value ones at the moment. Dont get a flood damaged one though without kicking it up as there have been 80,000 water damaged cars available over the last few months and some have been drybollicked.
I use loads of parts from them inc hubs, shafts, ecu, column, hand brake, calipers and v5. Regards Stuart. New MEV R2 is Mondeo based.

geoff shep - 6/1/08 at 11:55 AM

quote:

Maybe no good for a seven but presumably 'locost' could cover other designs. This looks nice - Richard Stewart's mondeo-based snakey thing:

onzarob - 6/1/08 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by geoff shep
quote:

Maybe no good for a seven but presumably 'locost' could cover other designs. This looks nice - Richard Stewart's mondeo-based snakey thing:

This is were i get lost, why do you want to build a car that drives the same as your daily commuter, but look nice.

I personally want something thats fun to drive...when they start building front wheel drive F1 cars, I will buy a front wheel drive sports car...look at the great front wheel drive Lotus Elan of the 90's...oh the rear wheel drive MX5 stole the show

(Sorry rant over)