Board logo

Insuring Tools + parts in Garage?
cloudy - 24/1/08 at 03:36 PM

I've looked up my home insurance today, as it occured to me the value of tools + car parts in the garage is increasing. My cover is only up to £1500 with norwich union and they will not extend that. I need probably more like £4-5000 cover. Anyone know if there any extra policies I can take out, or house insurers that will offer a good deal.

Also I take it they would not cover a car in mid build?

James

BenB - 24/1/08 at 03:53 PM

You can get build-up cover from quite a few insurers. I got mine from Flux for about 60 quid a year. I *think* it also covered some tools (might be wrong!!).

fesycresy - 24/1/08 at 03:54 PM

This came up recently.

Click

Try Nationwide.

HTH

Lyn.

paulmw - 24/1/08 at 05:18 PM

I did mine with footman james

http://www.footmanjames.co.uk/

£49 TPF&T for £7k of car parts

paulmw - 24/1/08 at 05:19 PM

I did mine with footman james

http://www.footmanjames.co.uk/

£49 TPF&T for £7k of car parts

cloudy - 24/1/08 at 05:29 PM

Will try Nationwide/flux and FJ. Paul - does that cover tools too?

James

striker16v - 24/1/08 at 05:47 PM

I tried to take build insurance out but non of the main insurers would touch me, because my Striker was being built at a unit I rent and not at my house.
I ended up adding the Striker to a storage & transit policy I have with competition car insurance. They offer a fixed value policy, you can also cover trailers & I belive tools & other equipment as well. Last years prem cost me £450ish to cover my striker & trailer.

You could also try Richard Egger Insurance, they offer the same services as competition car insurance

cloudy - 24/1/08 at 05:53 PM

FJ have quoted me £39.90 for £3k of car cover, but won't/can't provide any cover at all for tools. Will probably take them up on that for peace of mind and see if I can move the house insurance to cover tools

Brook_lands - 24/1/08 at 10:08 PM

I ended up with Ensleigh Insurance, £5,000 cover for garage contents (but not part built cars and car parts) which I reckon is about enough to cover the tools etc., and the premium was reasonable as well.