Board logo

advice wanted -new tintop
24vseven - 24/2/08 at 09:45 AM

as the title say i am thinking or replaceing my daily driver (st24) for somthing more of a workhorse for towing ect
i am looking at a 1999 2.2 frontera lwb
has anyone out there any experence of this type of car fuel econmey ect aparentlly its worse than the st24 can that be right????????/

Dangle_kt - 24/2/08 at 09:52 AM

Me Dad used to use one for work, he said it was terrible, four up it could barely do 80 on the motorway.

Not sure on the engine size but I'd Try before you buy!

britishtrident - 24/2/08 at 09:53 AM

To say the Frontera has a really reputation in the motor trade would be an understatement.

zilspeed - 24/2/08 at 09:55 AM

A frontera ?

Are you sure you're in the right place ?

Only joking.
But, you can surely think of something else. (With apologies to all frontera captains.)

neilj37 - 24/2/08 at 10:01 AM

I had a swb Frontera, think it was the 2l petrol. I was getting around 25/27mpg.

You might be better off getting a second hand Nissan Terrano or the Ford Maverick in 2.7l diesel. I had one of these too and was a lot better than the Frontera

[Edited on 24/2/08 by neilj37]

Richard Quinn - 24/2/08 at 10:03 AM

I had a 53 plate LWB 2.2DTi16v from new and put roughly 120,000 miles on it. The EGR valve stuck in the first week and then I had a slight oil leak on the oil pressure switch about 100,000 miles later. All in all, not too bad. It certainly wasn't the fastest thing out there but was perfectly happy towing my car trailer and we once put a ratchet strap from the back of my trailer to a VW Golf also towing a trailer to give him a hand out of a muddy field.
It is actually quite a capable car in the mud etc.
Mine was used a lot on the motorway and used to return about 38mpg overall. Kumho 798 tyres were much better than the original Wranglers. They were about £60 a corner and lasted roughly 40,000 miles.
When it came out it was slated but the later ones weren't too bad. Like everything else, there;s good ones and bad ones out there.

JEPY - 24/2/08 at 10:10 AM

If you're looking for a reliable workhorse (4wd) you need to buy Jap. My mate does loads of really tough off roading etc and most things fall apart except for the Toyota Landcruisers. If you do your research you can pickup some bargains (especially imported models where you get decent specs).

If you want advice, I'd get in touch with your local 4x4 / green lane group.

James

thunderace - 24/2/08 at 10:10 AM

BUY A TRANSIT

24vseven - 24/2/08 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
BUY A TRANSIT

i need it to be my daily driver and the family taxi

thi particular one has 12 months mot 6 tax and fsh

ch1ll1 - 24/2/08 at 10:49 AM

i would go for a disco ,
the fronteras ok, but 20ish mpg
service costs are a fortune,

froggy - 24/2/08 at 10:56 AM

3.0 td (prado ) landcruiser import . i bought a direct import for my dad 6 years ago and have sold it twice since then .25mpg and it had 3 sets of pads ,an oil pressure switch and the middle box on the exhaust replacing .it had 40k on the clock when it came over now has 115k .early cars are a couple of grand now.

mookaloid - 24/2/08 at 12:39 PM

My new daily driver/towcar

saab
saab

9-5 2.3 LPT

really enjoying it

zilspeed - 24/2/08 at 04:27 PM

Have you remapped the ECU yet oh Mookster ?

We had a 9000 which started off as an LPT but added a Jak Stoll ECU for added effect.

I like Saabs.

mookaloid - 24/2/08 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Have you remapped the ECU yet oh Mookster ?

We had a 9000 which started off as an LPT but added a Jak Stoll ECU for added effect.

I like Saabs.

Not yet but it is tempting me