Board logo

Kia 7 yr warranty
speedyxjs - 2/3/08 at 08:18 PM

Just seen the new kia advert and noticed they are now giving a 7 year warranty
How long before someone provides a life long warranty?

[Edited on 2-3-08 by speedyxjs]

flak monkey - 2/3/08 at 08:23 PM

Heres what 'What Car' said:

quote:

7-year warranty on engine and gearbox
5-year warranty on rest of car
Warranty to extend to other models

Kia Cee'd, the company's first European-built five-door hatchback, will have an industry-best seven year-warranty on the engine and gearbox and five-year warranty on the rest of the car.

The warranty will cover 100,000 miles and will be transferable to subsequent owners. Current warranties cover three years' unlimited mileage on the whole car.

The five-door hatchback comes on sale spring 2007. A five-door estate and a sporty three-door hatch will follow later in the year.

The warranty reflects Kia's confidence in its European factory, the car and its quality. The warranty will be extended to other Kia models in the range as they are replaced.

Its pretty good, even the 5 year warranty on the rest of the car.

novacaine - 2/3/08 at 08:42 PM

how many engines dont last 7 years though?

hey, even if it is warranteed for 7 years that wont stop the interior from looking like a spartan russian tank after a firebombing and the car driving like a blamange

kia, hyundai, ssangyong and the likes are more in competion with a years bus pass than anything else, the only reason you would buy one is purely to get from a to b with the least possible level of enjoyment

iceman26 - 2/3/08 at 08:45 PM

navara d22 yd engines dont last 7 years

Mark G - 2/3/08 at 08:46 PM

I dissagree, I'm a car person as are most on this site, but if I was to go out and buy a brand new car tomorrow I'd certainly considder them. Taking into account that I've worked as a technician for both Mercedes, BMW and now Mini with labour rates at over £100 P/h Plus VAT its very easy to get a bill of over £1000 these days for things that would be covered by a 5 or 7 year warranty.

I think its a great idea and more company's should do it, My only concern is that a Kia or other manufacturers aren't reliable enough yet to be able to back a 7 year warranty and still make a profit. It could be their long term downfall.

colt_mivec - 2/3/08 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by novacaine

kia, hyundai, ssangyong and the likes are more in competion with a years bus pass than anything else, the only reason you would buy one is purely to get from a to b with the least possible level of enjoyment

I disagree aswell ive drove the kia ceed disel sport and its a nice car. Im even selling my mitsubishi colt CZT to buy one

[Edited on 2/3/08 by colt_mivec]

Coose - 2/3/08 at 09:44 PM

£100/hour? Christ, I'm in the wrong job!

Mark G - 2/3/08 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Coose
£100/hour? Christ, I'm in the wrong job!

Well unfortunately I don't see much of that £100, Shame really.

darrens - 2/3/08 at 10:20 PM

quote:

renault diesels!!!

but upto that point are extremely good diesels and very quiet.

[Edited on 2/3/08 by darrens]

mark chandler - 2/3/08 at 10:33 PM

I thought Mitsubishi had been offering lifetime warranties for a few years now, but not transfereable so only the time you own the car.

MikeRJ - 2/3/08 at 11:09 PM

Call me cynical but this seems like an excellent plan to tie you into dealer servicing and OE consumables long past the point that most people would start using an independent.

colt_mivec - 2/3/08 at 11:57 PM

You can use an independent if you want as long as genuine parts and service sheet are used.

I wont go to my mitsi dealer unless its warranty,My new L200 has broke down 4 times now and they are just terrible for customer service

Simon - 3/3/08 at 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
My only concern is that a Kia or other manufacturers aren't reliable enough yet to be able to back a 7 year warranty and still make a profit. It could be their long term downfall.

That's easy. You sell a 6 grand car for 14 and you're pretty well covered! How much do you think it costs in Korea?

Or am I being cynical

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 3/3/08 by Simon]

speedyxjs - 3/3/08 at 07:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by darrens
quote:

renault diesels!!!

I can second that

RazMan - 3/3/08 at 08:39 AM

I think I remember an article on Ford a short while back - something about a 'sealed for life' 100,000 mile guarantee on engines ....... maybe I dreamt it.

chunkytfg - 3/3/08 at 10:24 AM

when it becomes unlimited mileage then i'll consider it but at the moment 100000 miles is just under 3 years for me in a car thats is mine to won and run not a company car