Board logo

Daft question about games at stoneleigh
tegwin - 22/4/08 at 12:26 PM

I know this is a daft and retarded question, but...

having never been to a proper kit car show... (donny last year doesnt count!)...

What are the stalls like? Am I going to have to rush to the stalls at 9:00 on Sunday morning to make sure that I get a decent pair of seats etc, or is there usualy plenty of bargains to be had by all?

Oh, and there had better be donuts!

smart51 - 22/4/08 at 12:49 PM

There are usually loads of seats. I pre-ordered mine for collection at stonleigh but I should think they bring some of the most common types. There'll be a selection there for you to sit in and try out. Take your own steering wheel

[Edited on 22-4-2008 by smart51]

paulf - 22/4/08 at 12:50 PM

I have not seen many seats for sale apart from Midland wheel supplies who sell the baby cub seats and bigger ones more suited to tin tops.The other seat manufactuers are there but usually just show seats to take orders. To be honest I have rarerly found a bargain apart from a couple of years back when i got a pair of old stock Avos from the manufacturer for £60.Theres always lots of stuff for sale but dont expect real bargains apart from odds and ends.
Paul

Mr Whippy - 22/4/08 at 12:54 PM

Usually its masses of old junk that only a 90 year old could identify probably half belongs to scrapped farm machinery. Tons of dinky cars and scratchy vinyl records, plus off course those strange men and they're popping bouncing stationary engines, who have them powering a set of lights or a doll with an axe chopping wood ,that just leave you thinking –‘Why???’

Bluemoon - 22/4/08 at 01:28 PM

Just view it as a good day out, and you can justify it by saving in postage! Also haggle most seem to drop there price if you ask...

You also get to look at the bit's and bobs before you by (particulay true for seats....)..

Dan

mcerd1 - 22/4/08 at 01:29 PM

if there is something you know you want, and you know who you want to buy it from - give them a phone and do a deal

then just collect / pay for it on the day

I've got a few things this way, and saved a fair bit of cash too

dave1888 - 22/4/08 at 02:12 PM

I like the stall that says "sorry its official leaded petrol is no more" ive seen that stall with the same apology for years. I think i'll ask him if hes responsible for no more leaded petrol

chrisg - 22/4/08 at 02:40 PM

The reason there sometimes not much to buy on a Sunday is 'cos some of us sneaky types go down on Saturday and buy it all!

cheers

Chris

brynhamlet - 22/4/08 at 04:40 PM

I got the inpression it's Sunday, Monday!!!

chrisg - 22/4/08 at 06:43 PM

It is.

But you can camp from mid day saturday, and if you have someone on the inside (Exhibiting) you can have a sneaky look as they're setting up.

Cheers

Chris

LBMEFM - 22/4/08 at 07:14 PM

Why indeed Mr Whippy why indeed?

MikeRJ - 22/4/08 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
plus off course those strange men and they're popping bouncing stationary engines, who have them powering a set of lights or a doll with an axe chopping wood ,that just leave you thinking –‘Why???’

Maybe I'm a bit sad, but I quite like the big old Listers etc. chuffing away with all the exposed valve gear and governor spinning away, almost hypnotic.

What I really don't understand is the people that slap a coat of paint onto an old Briggs and Scrap-iron and have it hooked up to a generator or water pump. It's just an old lawnmower engine, not rare or special, yet they proudly display a lump of mahogany with dozens of brass plaques from all the vintage/steam rallies they've bored people at.