Board logo

PC World lack of stock
Mr Whippy - 19/6/08 at 08:16 AM

Rather hacked off last night, I decided I’d go to PC World to get a new computer as they have PC’s…or maybe

After spending ages picking a machine, I get told they have none of that model in stock (typical) so I said how long for delivery? ‘Well sir that is an end of line model, we cannot actually order one’ ????? what the hell is it on display then!? He then offers me another for the same price but with a tiny hard drive, won’t sell me even the display one (which I suspect also had the tiny hard drive), then I asked if he had any other machines with comparable spec’s so then we go round all these machines which none are in stock and the only thing he could offer was one £240 more than the £450 I wanted to spend. In the end I told him I had more machines to sell than them and left.

Pathetic

[Edited on 19/6/08 by Mr Whippy]

andyharding - 19/6/08 at 08:20 AM

Thank god that happened to you so you have time to see the light and get a Mac

wilkingj - 19/6/08 at 08:20 AM

Ah... PC World... Box Shifters, with no boxes!

There are a lot of cheaper places then PC World.

Humbug - 19/6/08 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andyharding

... except that you would have to spend the extra £240 to get an equivalent spec machine

Mr Whippy - 19/6/08 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andyharding

? hadn't even crossed my mind, I thought they were quite expensive, I'll have a look...ta

Dangle_kt - 19/6/08 at 08:26 AM

if your spending that sort of cash, drop Dell a call - sometimes they have some cracking offers on - admittedly sometimes they dont!!

And I have had dells in the past and was very impressed by build/stability.

Also try evesham, they make good systems and are well regarded.

Neither of these companies have the daft prices and availability issues that PC world have.

Mr Whippy - 19/6/08 at 08:31 AM

I tried Dell in the past, going for a budget machine that rapidly shot up in price when all the 'basic' extras were added. Shame as I used them at work for years and thought their machines were first rate.

I tried to order one online but all the places I tried would only deliver to my cards registered address, ie my old house where I do not live

tegwin - 19/6/08 at 08:41 AM

DO NOT USE PC WORLD!!!!!!!!

Go to Ebuyer.co.uk they always have delivered to any address I wanted in the past....

Im sure you will get something better spec and cheaper from there!

bilbo - 19/6/08 at 08:42 AM

The best thing about PCs is you can build them yourself
That way, it's exactly to your spec.

Edited to say, totally agree with above. Don't use Pissy World for anything.

[Edited on 19/6/08 by bilbo]

Mr Whippy - 19/6/08 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
DO NOT USE PC WORLD!!!!!!!!

Go to Ebuyer.co.uk they always have delivered to any address I wanted in the past....

Im sure you will get something better spec and cheaper from there!

just had a look, thanks

Benzine - 19/6/08 at 09:08 AM

I guess you could get a chic, stylish lifestyle machine over at www.apple.com

or to avoid buying an overpriced BIOSless piece of "designer" poo with no decent gaming or upgrade options, you could just buy a pc on the net

Mr G - 19/6/08 at 09:31 AM

UncleFista - 19/6/08 at 09:46 AM

I've always built my own PC's, but this one I have now is a Dell, about £500 for a top notch PC. I'll never build one again, this cost a third less than it would've cost for me to buy the parts.

Check out the UKhotdeals site, they have some cracking PC deals....

britishtrident - 19/6/08 at 09:54 AM

The shelf length life of any particular PC model is so short that "End of line" is a big problem for manufacturers and PC World.

While often excellent E Buyer can be iffy to deal with some times they take weeks to deliver or send a "substitute" item.

Personally I never pay more than £250 for a PC box by sticking to buying end of line models from Morgan.

graememk - 19/6/08 at 10:13 AM

herrrm now who would i use ?

Jasper - 19/6/08 at 10:43 AM

I would also say Dell every time. Paid £450 ish for an office machine, comes with a 3 yr on site warranty too, super quiet and small case and been 100% reliable and stable so far. I would never buy from anybody else. And ring them up and order on the phone, 'cos you often get a better deal than the web price, and you can haggle with them and get more stuff thrown in.

andyharding - 19/6/08 at 10:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

or to avoid buying an overpriced BIOSless piece of "designer" poo with no decent gaming or upgrade options, you could just buy a pc on the net

Why not just get a t-shirt that says "I am ignorant" on the front?

Not only does a MAC have a BIOS just like a PC (not sure where you got this pearl of wisdom from) but they also use the same processors, RAM, hard disks and graphics cards so are equally upgradeable.

As for no decent gaming options, if the following isn't enough choice for you then I think you are in serious need of getting a life:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/software/action_games?mco=MTE4OTk

andyharding - 19/6/08 at 10:50 AM

For a general purpose MAC i.e. web, email, home office tasks I'd look at an iMAC:-

http://www.apple.com/uk/imac/

(I have the 24" iMAC and an iBook laptop for work and will never but a PC again)

Edited to add: you can install Windows as an application inside MAC for the odd application that you can't run on MAC and it works better than when installed in a PC

[Edited on 19/6/08 by andyharding]

iscmatt - 19/6/08 at 11:11 AM

i've got a little macbook - have to say when it comes to upgrading my home PC i will be going iMAC, without a doubt

donut - 19/6/08 at 11:19 AM

Or if you have a screen, mouse and keyboard you could get a MAC MINI.

I find with MAC software that it comes pre installed with good software. You can get most programmes for mac the same as PC but where there will be 20 different programmes to do a job on PC there will only be 1 or 2 for the mac so saves on decision making.

I have had a few Macs but always return to PC as it's what i know.

mcerd1 - 19/6/08 at 11:24 AM

I vote for DIY - its not difficult and as above you get to pick the spec of every part

personally I always buy a top spec MB then build the machine up using leftovers and a few cheaper bits to start with, then upgrade a little over time (as the higher spce bits get cheaper)

recently a mates cheap PC died completly (HDD, MB, RAM + CPU) - it was an old athlon XP 2600+ made from the cheapest, nastiest rubbish - so we kept the case, PSU and DVD / floppy etc
then got a good new HDD and second hand MB, RAM, CPU, Graphics card (all good quality bits - sold on ebay after an upgrade)

in the end the upgrade was only from a 2600+ to a 2800+, same size disc (80Gb) and 4x the RAM (1Gb) and a GF6600 card - but it actually runs quite quick and does all he needs it to for a total of £120 + a dead PC

bilbo - 19/6/08 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I vote for DIY - its not difficult and as above you get to pick the spec of every part

personally I always buy a top spec MB then build the machine up using leftovers and a few cheaper bits to start with, then upgrade a little over time (as the higher spce bits get cheaper)

recently a mates cheap PC died completly (HDD, MB, RAM + CPU) - it was an old athlon XP 2600+ made from the cheapest, nastiest rubbish - so we kept the case, PSU and DVD / floppy etc
then got a good new HDD and second hand MB, RAM, CPU, Graphics card (all good quality bits - sold on ebay after an upgrade)

in the end the upgrade was only from a 2600+ to a 2800+, same size disc (80Gb) and 4x the RAM (1Gb) and a GF6600 card - but it actually runs quite quick and does all he needs it to for a total of £120 + a dead PC

You know it makes sense. This is the true locoster spirit

Gav - 19/6/08 at 11:31 AM

I've just build my own PC,
MSI quality Motherboard
Quad Core Q6600 processor @ 3.4 ghz
2 GB PC10000 OCZ ram
2x WD Raptor SATA Disks in Raid 0
Geforce 9800

Its a hell of a machine, great for gaming

DavidW - 19/6/08 at 11:39 AM

I used to build my own then bought a Dell. Good machine very good offers.

I eventually bought a Mac and will never buy another PC. If there is a small price premium it's easily worth it.

Davd

flak monkey - 19/6/08 at 11:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

That had me ROFLMFAO

I always build my own PC's, you cant beat them for value for money and the performance you get from it. Otherwise if you are a PC numpty buy a Dell, their aftersales is quite good.

Avoid PC world like the plague, i did find out they will price match dabs on components though, which is quite handy! Got 60% off their shelf price on some RAM, should have seen the look on the guys face!

David

chris_smith - 19/6/08 at 12:00 PM

do it the locost way and build ya own, i did and couldnt be happier
went here delivered next day

RK - 19/6/08 at 01:02 PM

Your experience is called "bait and switch" in the retail world: get a sucker in the door with the cheap display then "upgrade" them til they've spent many times what the display costs. It's a dispicable way of doing business, but very common.

I don't know about the UK, but I always buy Dell. However, just for portability alone, I'm seriously looking at the Mac Air. You can always buy a huge external drive for very cheap if you run out of room. Some of us are not good at building things - my car is the exception of course.

Mr Whippy - 19/6/08 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris_smith
do it the locost way and build ya own, i did and couldnt be happier
went here delivered next day

Looks very interesting but I can see it ending in flames

mcerd1 - 19/6/08 at 02:03 PM

I've bought alot of stuff form this lot, they've always be very helpful:

http://www.stak.com/store/index.asp

personaly I like ASUS motherboards, but what ever your looking at try and download the manual for the MB before you buy anything - that way you can plan your new machine properly before spending any cash
and I guess you could always post what your planning here if you want a second opinion

[Edited on 19/6/08 by mcerd1]

chris_smith - 19/6/08 at 07:23 PM

quote:

Looks very interesting but I can see it ending in flames

2nd for asus

thats what i thought mr whippy when i was first pushed towards this idea but its the way forward, and surely cant be worse than actually building your own mode of transport

[Edited on 19/6/08 by chris_smith]

pbura - 19/6/08 at 07:48 PM

Really, Mr. Whippy, assembling a PC is not very difficult. Everything's modular; you just buy your bits and plug them together.

Everything starts with the processor. The best value is usually in models that have been available for six months to a year. Old maxim: "The cutting edge will make you bleed."

Today's bargain looks like the Intel 2200 Core 2 Duo for US$80. Everything that goes with it (motherboard, memory) is cheap, too. That's probably what I'd buy if I had to do it today, and wind up with a pretty nice computer for about $600.

Like mcerd1 said, the motherboard manual will give you the specs for all the other bits, and tell you how to put them together, set the switches, etc. It's a breeze.

mcerd1 - 20/6/08 at 07:53 AM

you could always get the other book

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=43317&langId=-1
I've no idea how good this book is (or any of the other build you own PC books)

oh, and stay away from Vista

[Edited on 20/6/08 by mcerd1]

trogdor - 20/6/08 at 08:07 AM

Another vote for Dell, i used to build my PCs from the bits left over from my Dads work. He used to be a IT manager. Though it was difficult to make a decent PC from it, it was all free!

Anyways have just got my first brand new computer which was a £300 laptop from Dell with Vista and its Brill. Very little probs with it, the only annoying thing is some software has known compatability issues. In my case an older copy of PC anywhere. That said most software even if its pretty old works fine.