Board logo

which leccy shaver?
scotty g - 9/7/08 at 07:34 PM

Hi all,
I have finally decided that i can't be arsed with wet shaving any more, I did manage to find a blade that doesn't leave me looking like an extra in a horror film but it cost £12.00 for a pack of 4 replacement blades!
So i'm looking for a leccy razor and thought i would ask you lot if you can recommend any.
Cheers.

UncleFista - 9/7/08 at 07:41 PM

If you want a slash-free shave, with blades that cost less than a quid for 5, try a nice "safety" razor.
They don't cut your face to ribbons, and if you have a nice razor LIKE MINE it turns it into quite a pleasurable experience

twybrow - 9/7/08 at 07:41 PM

I have had a waterproof Phillishave for 5 years now - it is awesome. Take it in the shower, use the in-built shaving gel, or use it dry. Either way, it works well, and the battery still lasts weeks, not days.

britishtrident - 9/7/08 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
Hi all,
I have finally decided that i can't be arsed with wet shaving any more, I did manage to find a blade that doesn't leave me looking like an extra in a horror film but it cost £12.00 for a pack of 4 replacement blades!
So i'm looking for a leccy razor and thought i would ask you lot if you can recommend any.
Cheers.

What ever you buy the cutter blades in them wear and can cost about 20 quid plus to replace.

The solution for me was a little 2 head Phillips Model 40 which runs on 2x AA batteries, whole thing costs a tenner from Sainsburys (with batteries included) I buy a new one every 2-3 months or so when the blades wear and keep the older one in the tintopcar.

[Edited on 9/7/08 by britishtrident]

Dangle_kt - 9/7/08 at 08:21 PM

unless you shave everyday (i dont cos I like a bit of stubble) then electric shavers struggle and even if I do use mine everyday the shave is crap compared to a decent wet shave.

just my opinion - I also have that phillips one mentioned earlier and it's been used about 10 times and I've given up.

mr henderson - 9/7/08 at 08:29 PM

I've used Braun razors for years, they usually last me at least several years and I've never had to change the cutters or foils.

John

chris_smith - 9/7/08 at 08:35 PM

2nd vote for the philishave great just take everywhere n the shower superb, but i do prefer a wet shave

MikeR - 9/7/08 at 08:49 PM

i'm on my second philishave. bought it last year, the previous one lasted over 10 years.

David Jenkins - 9/7/08 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
Hi all,
I have finally decided that i can't be arsed with wet shaving any more

When I was around 17 or so I decided that shaving was a stupid way to start a morning... so I gave it up. I've had a beard for the last 40 years... much nicer to just comb my face in the mornings!

GeoffT - 9/7/08 at 09:33 PM

Yup, Phillishave for me too, I've used them all my (shaving) life, tried others, never as good. Will never be as close as a wet shave, but a lot less hassle.

I think the mistake a lot of new users of electric shavers make is pressing too hard on the skin - just gliding gently over gives best results for me.....or have I just drifted off subject.....

Simon - 9/7/08 at 09:50 PM

I shave once a week. Once of the benefits of being a further evolution human being I guess

I try and make a pack of blades last a year, and I still resent the prices to replace.

There's always laser treatment

ATB

Simon

Benzine - 9/7/08 at 10:59 PM

vote for grow a beard. I haven't spent anything on shaving stuff for about 3 years

andyps - 15/7/08 at 07:58 PM

I just replaced my last Braun with another - Boots have lots of them half price at the moment. I paid just over £50 for one with the cleaning system and it is shaving as close as a Gillette whatever their top one is with about 6 blades and a battery that I was given. Much less hassle as you can shave whilst doing other things rather than needing water etc. to hand.