Board logo

I need neoprene!
tegwin - 22/7/08 at 10:10 PM

I need to nock up some shock/track rod arm etc covers for the SVA retest next week...

I thought I had some old wetsuits somewhere, but I cant find them!!

Does anyone know where I might be able to source cheap neoprene quickly?

And I assume neoprene with a velcro strip sewn on would be acceptably perminant?

indykid - 22/7/08 at 10:16 PM

velcro? permanent.....? i don't quite think so.

nip down to your local electrical place and ask for some glands for steel wire armour junction boxes.

tom

tegwin - 22/7/08 at 10:18 PM

The glands would do for the nuts on the track rod arms...

But not for the shockers or wishbone to chassis points...

Would CV boots split down the middle and cable tied in place be considered perminant enough?

indykid - 22/7/08 at 10:27 PM

cable tied neoprene would probably be as well.

just not velcro
tom

tegwin - 22/7/08 at 10:29 PM

The last time around I used a piece of straight slit heater hose popped over the track rod arm and cable tied inplace...

Apparently that was not acceptable! (For a start the cabletie ends didnt meet the radius required)

MkIndy7 - 22/7/08 at 10:32 PM

At one point they did pencil cases made of Neoprene, not sure if there still about and cheep.

Or if your being really extravagant and expencive Aldi had wetsuits in for £30 there other week.

philhoward - 23/7/08 at 06:24 AM

Try Seals + Direct HERE

mad4x4 - 23/7/08 at 07:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by indykid
cable tied neoprene would probably be as well.

just not velcro
tom

I went with that neoprean pipe lagging on the front arms (tye wrapped) and got told by the inspector "sorry not permanent"

richardh - 23/7/08 at 07:21 AM

i pipe lagged mine and covered with insulating tape. not overly pretty close up but safe, sva friendly and the colour matches the rest of the front end.
nut covers for the rest with silicone inside.

martin1973 - 23/7/08 at 07:25 AM

i use some old leatherette and stuck it on with bostick. and velcro

pif - 23/7/08 at 08:44 AM

if you want neoprene with velcro strips on it go to any cycling shop and have a look at lizard skins.

Mr Whippy - 23/7/08 at 08:49 AM

I’d love to hear the logic of something being classed as being and not being permanent on a kit car, do you have a set time to be able to remove it, can you choose your weapon...scissors or grinder, must it just be teeth proof? Really I’d love to know.

tegwin - 23/7/08 at 09:07 AM

Haha...Mr Whippy you have a good point!!!

Its a kit car...nothing is perminant..

Its a pain because If I made some boots out of neoprene and velcro I would proberably leave them as a perminant fitting after the test..

If I have to use some hideous rubber boots or something they are going to fall off after the test evetnaully!

Anyone have any photos of covered track rod arms?

andrew.carwithen - 23/7/08 at 09:21 AM

Is self-amalgamating tape deemed a suitable permanent covering for shock platforms?
If not, am I right in thinking tyres from a remote-controlled car hae been used in the past? (though I hae no idea what these would cost?)

pewe - 23/7/08 at 11:31 AM

I bought a load of black 4mm thick self-adhesive Neoprene sheets 345 x 273mm for seat padding that might do.
It has a high tack reinforced backing.
Yours for £6 per two sheets plus postage @ £1.85. If interested U2U me your email and I'll send a paypal invoice.
Cheers, Pewe.

colt_mivec - 23/7/08 at 02:47 PM

Could you use the ATV Coilover covers avaliable on Ebay

colt_mivec - 23/7/08 at 02:51 PM

Ebay Linky

Try these,Used to keep Dirt and stones out of qaud shockers

brynhamlet - 23/7/08 at 03:56 PM

As said above, self amalgamating tape, cheap, will not come off acidently, i.e. you need a stanley knife to remove. It can be used for anything and if you take a roll or two with you to the SVA anything the tester fails you on in the way of sharp edges can be sorted in a few minutes