Board logo

Investment advice.
Jon Ison - 19/9/08 at 04:06 PM

If you had purchased £1000 of Northern Rock stock one year ago, it would be worth £4.95 today.

With HBOS, you would have £16.50 left of the original £1000.

With XL Leisure, you would have less than a fiver.

And if you had purchased £1000 of Seguro Air Lines stock, you would have a measly 49p.

However, if you had purchased £1000 worth of Tennent's Lager one year ago, drank the lot of it, then re-cycled the cans at an aluminium plant for a cash refund, you would have £214.

And so, based on the above information, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.

clairetoo - 19/9/08 at 04:09 PM

And if you had stuffed that £1000 under your mattress you would still have £1000 me hearties arrg

[Edited on 19/9/08 by clairetoo]

Danozeman - 19/9/08 at 04:12 PM

And if you put that into premium bonds and won youd have more!!

If you didnt win anything and rung them up and asked them to check you were still in the draw, you would win something very shortly after,.

However

The drinking bit is far more fun.

MikeR - 19/9/08 at 04:13 PM

although those theivin pirates who steal yer money with yer knowin would have taken some ...... baarrrr if i's gets mi hands on the inflation pirates id shiver their timbers!

splitrivet - 19/9/08 at 04:15 PM

If you had given that £1000 to any of my kids you would still have to bail them out 3 months later.
Where's me buccaneers......on yer buccanhead Jim lad.
Cheers,
Bob

coozer - 19/9/08 at 05:20 PM

RRRRRRRRRRRR invest it in the brewery... most satisfying way to watch it vanish

blakep82 - 19/9/08 at 05:34 PM

but is now a good time to buy halifax and northern rock shares?

i know nothing about investments....

JoelP - 19/9/08 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
but is now a good time to buy halifax and northern rock shares?

i know nothing about investments....

possibly halifax, unless you think it will fold, which seems unlikely to me. I wouldnt put a penny into shares at the min, but then, thats the cause of the problems anyway. Dont think you can buy northern rock shares what with it being privatised, but i may be wrong.

blakep82 - 19/9/08 at 06:22 PM

halifax won't fold. hmmm, really considering it, but haven't got much money to put into just now. still, a small amount is low(er) risk

mangogrooveworkshop - 19/9/08 at 06:41 PM

Some one did exactly that

graememk - 19/9/08 at 07:15 PM

whats this about halifax, i have my morgage with them.....panic...

blakep82 - 19/9/08 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk

bout by lloyds tsb this morning, making it

'lloyds TSB Halifax Bank of Scotland'

JoelP - 19/9/08 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk

whats the worry mate?! if they go bust you have a (very) slim chance of not having to pay your mortgage off!

mines RBS, which im sure is nearly the same company (but not, as i found when i rang the wrong one )

blakep82 - 19/9/08 at 07:40 PM

^ ha ha happens all the time

and they're not the same

JoelP - 19/9/08 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
^ ha ha happens all the time

and they're not the same

i spent ages on the phone asking how they could forget my mortgage, asking if i should cancel my payments?! In the end the guy suggested RBS

blakep82 - 19/9/08 at 08:11 PM

ha ha i work in RBS mortgages, the number of folk that phone up and you can't find them,
'is it definitely with ROYAL bank of scotland?' you say, with emphasis on the royal.
'yes' they say, 'its on the letter you sent me today',
then, as you did, insist they'll stop paying the mortgage and get REALLY annoyed, and start huffing and puffing, and shouting,
'well thats not one of our numbers' you say, 'and its definitely with the royal bank?'
'yes, thats right, the bank of scotland'
'bank of scotland?'
'yes'
'not the royal bank?'
'aren't they the same?'
'nooooo'

lol gives me some amusement for the day, in an otherwise shitty job