Board logo

Battery Question
speedyxjs - 14/10/08 at 07:53 AM

We are having some problems with one of our vans.
It is a Kangoo freezer van.
Because of the freezer it has to have the alternator belt running a bit slack otherwise they wear out within a few k's. We had a new battery fitted at the beginning of the year but now (about 10,000 miles later) she has to be jump started after left for a couple of days.
Do we need a new battery already or could it be something else? I know the loosened belt doesnt help but even if we do 100 miles and leave her for the weekend, she still needs a jump to get her running in the morning.

Mr Whippy - 14/10/08 at 07:58 AM

stick a meter across the terminals when the engine is running, should be around 14 volts if not then its the alternator, if it is then the battery is damaged. I'd also check the earth connections are clean.

nick205 - 14/10/08 at 08:11 AM

I might be being dim here, but why do you have to slacken the alternator belt?

How does the freezer operate?

Not considered it before, but if you're asking the normal alternator/battery set-up to power a freezer compressor as well then that seems a big ask.

I'd have expected a 2 battery/split charge system like a caravan or motorhome.

Like I say - I might be missing something here

westf27 - 14/10/08 at 08:41 AM

Wondering whether the compressor has an electric solenoid clutch which is sticking in and draining the battery.Sure I read about discos and rangies with this problem

speedyxjs - 14/10/08 at 09:28 AM

The freezer runs on the same belt as the alternator. It also switches off with the ingnition so i dont think it could drain the battery.

Mr Whippy - 14/10/08 at 11:22 AM

is the battery located in the freezer compartment....?

speedyxjs - 14/10/08 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
is the battery located in the freezer compartment....?

no

Blue Fox - 14/10/08 at 03:14 PM

I had a VW transporter that did exactly that from new - if I parked it for more than 3/4 days it wouldn't start, I was sure it was the battery but VW kept telling me there was nothing wrong with it, got rid of it a couple of weeks ago after having it 2 years so can't help much other than to say both myself and the AA man who came out and started it once said the battery was u/s.