Board logo

Selecting the correct paint colour?
tegwin - 2/11/08 at 03:29 PM

I am trying to match (as close as possible) the paint colour on my TVR...(it has been re-sprayed and I dont know the code!)

I bought a couple of paints from halfords that look "about right" on the tin...but one is to dark, and one is to light..... One also happens to be a pearlesant...which is the perfect colour...but its a pearlesant...which is not ideal..

Are there any charts that compare the colours of vehicle paints so I can choose a slightly "darker" shade of blue than the one I have etc?

I would love to be able to get close....its never going to look perfect, but it will do for now

mr henderson - 2/11/08 at 03:50 PM

I don't know the answer, I'm afraid, but have you considered paintng the roof in a different colour? Used to be quite popular at one time

John

Peteff - 2/11/08 at 05:07 PM

It's an old car,fit a trendy 70s vinyl roof

Shamrock GS - 2/11/08 at 05:36 PM

Halfords can match to a sample using a digital sampler (or somesuch) and produce aerosols. I brought the boot of an MGB GT in and they did an almost perfect match.

Gary

blakep82 - 2/11/08 at 07:06 PM

halfords also can mix tins of paint, they have a book full of all the different paint colours on production cars, and will let you flick through the book to find the right one

McLannahan - 2/11/08 at 07:53 PM

I had Halfords mix some paint up last week. Actually a good match. £10.99 it was. It's Holt paint and sprays quite well too - better than their normal flick cans!

tegwin - 2/11/08 at 11:19 PM

Hmm.... As it happens I have a door from the car in my tintop.....il tuck it under my arm and go for a wonder into Halfords on my lunchbreak