Board logo

Fitting new ring gear
wicket - 6/2/04 at 04:19 PM

Will the gear expand enough at domestic oven temp of 280 deg C (540 deg F) ? Thought of putting the flywheel in the freezer as well to get a little shrinkage. Any thoughts any one.

theconrodkid - 6/2/04 at 04:36 PM

you need oxy to fit one,book says to suspend in oil and heat,yea right!

Mk-Ninja - 6/2/04 at 04:46 PM

Agree with Conrod. Ive used oxy when fitting them.

Dave Ashurst - 6/2/04 at 07:40 PM

At your own risk:

A charcoal barbecue will do the job. Lay the ring gear in the embers until blue. Then dust it off and have the flywheel handy.

Well it worked for me.

Dave

theconrodkid - 6/2/04 at 08:00 PM

makes the burgers tast funny tho

theconrodkid - 6/2/04 at 08:01 PM

makes the burgers tast funny tho

Dave Ashurst - 6/2/04 at 08:06 PM

wicket - 6/2/04 at 08:26 PM

Thanks guys, no access to oxy so I will try the BBQ route.

Sparky - 9/2/04 at 01:01 AM

I've had success with the ring gear in the oven and the flywheel in the freezer. It works but do it fast.

Bonus is you won't risk overheating and distorting the gear.

Terrapin_racing - 16/2/04 at 03:00 PM

Sparky's right - used this route many times. Planning is the key. Don't expect a 16lb lump of metal to cool quickly in the freezer! - leave it over night (having removed the old ring gear with a chisel earlier - a better approach is to heat up the ring with a blow torch flame for about 5 minutes, then drift off evenly with hammer and brass punch), send the wife & kids shopping (essential) put the new ring gear in the oven (gas mark7 - or whatever the elec equiv) have a cup of tea and a 20 minute break. Quickly remove the flywheel from the freezer - place in a safe and convenient location - remove ring gear from oven and it should drop nicely onto the flywheel (have a small hammer - just to tap it firmly onto FW)
Job done!

If you get caught doing this in the kitchen - watch out!