Board logo

Cooling Fans
kendo - 6/4/09 at 08:27 PM

Having now blown a fistful of fuses with my rad fan (now discovered it pulls 100amps when it start up and runs at about 25 to 30 amps) I need to source a new fan el pronto. SVA on the 16th April .

Does anyone use the budget fan sold by SVC at £30? If so any good or can anyone recomend a cheaper new alternative that works?

Mark G - 6/4/09 at 08:29 PM

I took mine from a rover metro in the scrappy. Pulls 20amps on startup and draws a steady 10amps when running.

Cost the grand total of a tenner and fits really easy too.

coozer - 6/4/09 at 08:30 PM

Just disconnect it for SVA, its not tested. Or, is it required to stop the motor going EEEEEKK?

blakep82 - 6/4/09 at 08:31 PM

wire it up to a relay would be quickest and cheapest i think

chrisg - 6/4/09 at 08:31 PM

Another vote for the Metro unit, I bought mine new from Newark for £10.

Cheers

Chris

blakep82 - 6/4/09 at 08:32 PM

100A?!

dinosaurjuice - 6/4/09 at 08:38 PM

youll probably find that the fan is designed to be used with a 'soft start' controller. commonly fitted to big machinery to stop jerks etc.

the fan on my donor had a controller, there fairly common on bigger cars.

too complex and unnecessary for a kitcar - just fit a smaller/simpler fan.

kendo - 6/4/09 at 08:43 PM

I'd drawn the conclusion it is meant to be used with a controller.

Blooming powerful though. I have to keep the handbrake on or the car moves

02GF74 - 7/4/09 at 09:07 AM

just out of interest, what fan is this? (diameter?)

number oif solutions
a) fit 100 A or bigger fuse
b) fit soft start module
c) fit fan(s) that draw less current

re: c, if you need a massive fan, then fit 2 smaller fans assuming you can get coverage over radiator (rectangular vs square) and then fit a 2 stage temp switch - these wold stagger the turning on of the fans so that you won't get start up current drawn by both at same time.

kendo - 7/4/09 at 01:21 PM

The fan was bought at a Stoneleigh show a couple of years ago. so not a lot known about it.

I've gone for the Metro solution now. A brand new one for £10, which seems good value to me, is now winging it's way to me.