Board logo

Plumbing oil coolers and remote filters
flak monkey - 14/5/09 at 09:15 AM

Just thinking (maybe too hard) that if you fit an oil cooler and/or remote filter then it will take longer for the oil pressure to build up as some oil will drain back out of the filter and cooler which will need to be replaced before full oil pressure will be built up?

Is this correct? I need to fit a remote filter and possibly oil cooler to my duratec and just thinking about the effects.

Cheers,
David

Guinness - 14/5/09 at 09:25 AM

Download Think Automotive's catalogue:-

http://www.thinkauto.com/plist010106gweb.pdf

There is quite a bit of info regarding pressure loss / design etc on there.

Mike

Agriv8 - 14/5/09 at 09:26 AM

Valid point but looking at the other side of the coin your engine is getting nice cool oil with the right viscosity when you are running it at 8k rpm rather than slight los at start up.

regards

Agriv8

flak monkey - 14/5/09 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Download Think Automotive's catalogue:-

http://www.thinkauto.com/plist010106gweb.pdf

There is quite a bit of info regarding pressure loss / design etc on there.

Mike

Thanks Mike, can't really find the answer to my concerns though.

Agriv8, the bulk of engine wear occurs at startup on a cold engine in that split secodn when there is zero oil pressure, so surely you also really need to ensure maximum protection at both ends of the spectrum?

MikeRJ - 14/5/09 at 11:07 AM

If you mounted the cooler high up and upside down, you may find a problem with draining back. This is not a typical installation though!

diyer - 14/5/09 at 11:53 AM

David,
I have some remote housings and take off adapters.

Simon

owelly - 14/5/09 at 11:54 AM

Make sure the oil filter is fitted with a non-return. If you look at the holes around the outside, which are the inlet side of the filter, it should have a rubber flap fitted to stop the oil draining back. These filters are used for when the filter is fitted upside down or high up in 'normal' applications. If you intend to mount the filter horizontally, make sure it has the rubber flaps fitted and a tube up the inside so the filter fills up properly.
Feed the hot oil to the top of the cooler if the cooler is vertical.