Board logo

Duratec
goaty - 19/5/09 at 06:37 AM

hey guys,
I am looking to buy a duratec but wanted to ask some peoples opinions on mileage of the motor.
I have found one for £300 not too far from me and the mileage is 98k.
I know its fairly high but i am planning on all new forged pistons and rods etc so do you think the mileage will make any odds?? I know the crank may have some wear but woudl a regrind solve this if it was found to be worn??
what do you think???
cheers

philw - 19/5/09 at 07:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by goaty
hey guys,
I am looking to buy a duratec but wanted to ask some peoples opinions on mileage of the motor.
I have found one for £300 not too far from me and the mileage is 98k.
I know its fairly high but i am planning on all new forged pistons and rods etc so do you think the mileage will make any odds?? I know the crank may have some wear but woudl a regrind solve this if it was found to be worn??
what do you think???
cheers

If you are planning to do all the above just take it apart and see if at worst needs a re-bore, then all you do is buy oversized pistons.

hughpinder - 19/5/09 at 08:04 AM

Compression test before strip out?

Regards
Hugh

flak monkey - 19/5/09 at 08:17 AM

You would be better off finding a low mileage one TBH. High milers are known to suffer big end problems (150k+ miles normally though) and I wouldd definately want to see one of 100k miles running before I bought it!

I dont think oversize pistons are available for the duratec yet, neither are oversize main/big end bearings.

They do come up on ebay regularly, its just waiting for one with a reasonable mileage at a low price. (The fiesta ST150 engine is a duratec, and they are often listed cheaper).

David

viatron - 19/5/09 at 09:00 AM

If you doing that lot it wont make any difference unless the bottom end is so bad the crank is beyond a regrind. One of our sponsers does duratec pistons and rods and does the pistons in oversize

www.performanceenginecomponents.co.uk
01376 583030

Ask for Dave

omega0684 - 19/5/09 at 09:26 AM

only 48k on this one. £500 though

ebay

philw - 19/5/09 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
only 48k on this one. £500 though

ebay

Good find but, anybody can make up a milage, says from a 2002 car if you say an average of 8k per year(which is very low)=56k, most do 12k upwards.

goaty - 19/5/09 at 10:15 AM

it will be going overbore as i have found a supplier from the states, i will go see it running before i decide but think it shoudl be ok.
thanks for allt he advice guys