Board logo

Fuel Pump for a Pinto
Moose - 16/6/09 at 08:55 PM

Hi all,
I have a Tiger CAT with a 2.1 Pinto (Vulcan) with twin Dellorto 45s.

Fuel pump died on me tonight (1.5 hrs sat by the car - at least it was a nice evening in West Sussex).

Any recommendations on a replacement? There is currrently no fuel pressure regulator in my setup.

Cheers

Xtreme Kermit - 16/6/09 at 09:12 PM

I'd recomend a facet red top but you will need a pressure regulator to bring it down to 3psi.

Mine is a Feriday 2.1 with a 285 cam and twin 45 webers, so a similar setup and I have had no problems with it.

(mounting tip - mount the pump vertically as horizontal position wears the shuttle)

omega0684 - 16/6/09 at 09:14 PM

i ran a facet red top fuel pump when i was running carbs, never let me down

austin man - 17/6/09 at 07:30 AM

Ive got the red top as well on twin 40's no regulator, got one on order though think its about time I fitted one

Moose - 17/6/09 at 10:07 AM

Thanks guys. At the risk of asking a stupid question...

One garage told me to fit silver top pushing out around 4 to 5 psi as no pressure regulator needed then. Whats the advantage of the red top + pressure regulator setup?

As a side note the old fuel pump used to clatter like crazy if you let it idle for more than 3 or 4 mins. It would quieten down once got going. In fact 5 mins before it died last last night I was stuck in a traffic jam and it was clattering noisily away. Is that normal.

Cheers

Barksavon - 17/6/09 at 06:04 PM

I,m no expert but ive got a facet fuel pump on my Avon with a 1.6 pinto running on a single dellorto 40. i was intending to use twin 40's but couldnt get it running right, bit too much carb i think. The plugs were sooting up on tickover until it wouldnt run. I picked a pressure reg and gauge up off e bay and set it to 2.5 psi...ran well straight away. I wouldnt go with what the garage say about 4 - 5 psi not needing a regulator, the amount of fuel would overwhelm your carbs i think

Moose - 17/6/09 at 08:36 PM

Cheers all.

Just ordered a red top + pressure regulator + pressure gauge.

DarrenW - 18/6/09 at 09:41 AM

I used a red top at first. The fires in carb mouth's were a bit worrying so i took it off. And yes, i was using a pressure reg turned right down. The pulsing of the pump forced fuel passed the reg. I concluded the pump was way too strong. Now use bike pump with bike carbs with no issues.

(red top was with 38dgas though - not sure if twin carbs fare better or not).