Board logo

Loctite Propshaft Bolts
spdpug98 - 2/8/09 at 12:59 PM

After driving over 200miles this weekend, one of my prop shaft bolts has worked itself loose. (reverse box)

All of my bolts had been fixed with standard Blue Loctite and I had planned on re-doing them after the recent posts on here

I have just borrowed 2 types of Loctite off a friend but he is not sure which one is the strongest, if we have any Loctite Experts on here can you help..

I have:

Loctite 601 - which is green in coour

&

Loctite 317 (Engineering Adhesive) - Clear

iiyama - 2/8/09 at 01:03 PM

The green I have is stud lock. Can tell ya that its a bugger to undo anything where Ive used it.......

MikeCapon - 2/8/09 at 01:13 PM

Green is the proper tough stuff. All you need to do to get it undone afterwards is to heat it to just over 150°C. I use this almost all the time and I've never had a problem getting stuff undone once it's been warmed up.

I would avoid the engineering adhesive though. Most Loctite product does pretty much what it says on the tin so I'd doubt that an adhesive would be undoable.

spdpug98 - 2/8/09 at 01:22 PM

Thanks, I will give the Green one a go

franky - 2/8/09 at 02:21 PM

the blue stuff is good too.

why don't you lockwire the bolts? thats what i'm planning on doing, so even if they become loose there's no way they'll come out.

StevieB - 2/8/09 at 03:54 PM

I had a similar problem with my drive shaft bolts coming undone (all 24 of them ).

I now used the green stuff as well as lock wiring. Nothing wrong with a bit of over engineering in this area!

ss1turbo - 2/8/09 at 04:04 PM

I only have 2 type of "loctite" - low strength (although not really sure why) and stud lock. If I want it to stay put, then it gets stud lock - end of story!

Angus180 - 2/8/09 at 06:49 PM

i tend to locking wire most things then you can go wrongs and looks neet. and being a aircraft engineer i do lots of it. good pic here.

http://www.byrongliding.com/images/lockwire.gif

ss1turbo - 2/8/09 at 07:16 PM

Oh..and loctite/etc will only work on clean, dry threads...if they're oily, it won't do jack.