Board logo

Engine & Gearbox 3
GrumpyOne - 17/8/09 at 10:51 PM

I am seriously considering using the 3.0 ltr V6 from the Jaguar S Type along with the S Type gearbox, and dumping the Scorpio V6 Bob engine.
However I have just discovered that the Jag doesn't use a throttle cable, the ECU controlling the throttle instead.
How easy will this system be to duplicate using a Megasquirt, and how is it done, can it be done????

Confused
Colin

[Edited on 17/8/09 by GrumpyOne]

Willie - 17/8/09 at 11:14 PM

Why add the complication of trying to replicate the system?

The Jag plenum is massive and has a couple of ECU controlled electronic butterflies in it. The whole setup weighs a ton.

I don't see the point in trying to rig up an electronic throttle, as its a bit of a dead end street. What happens when you get used to 240bhp and want more? You'll need throttle bodies, so you'll need a cable anyway.

Appreciate you're probably trying to get around spending a grand and a half on Jenvey's setup, which is quite tall (Manifold is 105mm from face to face), and then you need TBs on top of that. They do short ones...but its still bulky.

One option would be to use the earlier 2.5V6 lower manifold, as I think it might fit. It's of a split port shape (Two individual holes, rather than one long slot), but comes with the butterflies and spindles in it. You would need to open the holes into a slot and make new butterflies, but it could be done. The injectors are offset over one hole, but you could weld on new bosses, or possibly use the Jag's plastic lower manifold with injectors, and bolt the "TB"s to it.

Other options are to make your own manifold to fit bike TBs. Fit bike TBs to the Jenvey manifold or get custom slot shaped TBs machined.

Willie

major - 18/8/09 at 05:45 AM

Currently working on a MK Indy / duratec 25 / getrag 221 / megasquirt setup. The 3L is (not VVT) is very similar to the 2.5L ( the 2.5 svt or st200) uses the Trotle Body from the 3.0L. In a super seven kind of car the 2.5L is big... (look in my archive / positings). the 3L is perhaps somewhat bigger, so....