Board logo

1.8 cvh
stev24276 - 28/12/09 at 08:52 PM

can anyone help with my problem i am fitting 1.8 cvh out of the serria and want to make my own loom can i do it with out useing the esc unit or do i have to use the unit for the engine to run than make the rest of the loom

sprouts-car - 28/12/09 at 08:56 PM

I'm using the 1.8 cvh and used the esc. Its pretty simple to wire it up with the aid of the haynes manual. Then i just built the rest of the loom around it.

As for if it is needed i couldnt say, i just thought it was easier to use it.

Oh and welcome to the mad house!

HTH,
Chris

[Edited on 28/12/09 by sprouts-car]

twinturbo - 28/12/09 at 09:11 PM

Yes you need it.

But it's simple, you should have 3 loom plugs on the engine sub loom.

the following download "loom plugs (Sierra to granada) details the functions on the 3 plugs. It's intended for helping put 24V's in sierras but should do the trick.

http://www.claytune.org.uk/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=19%3Aother-resources&Itemid=53

TT

stev24276 - 28/12/09 at 09:21 PM

thank you that has helped a lot

AdrianH - 28/12/09 at 09:28 PM

If you are keeping the original carb setup then I would say yes you need it.

That is what I have done, also keeping the air temp sensor mounting it within a Piper cross plate.

If you are going down a bike carbs then would suggest a possible route would be megajolt route with edis4.

Which route are you going?

Adrian

[Edited on 28-12-09 by AdrianH]

twinturbo - 28/12/09 at 09:38 PM

I don't see any advantage in replacing the ESC-Hybrid with Megajolt.

TT

AdrianH - 28/12/09 at 09:59 PM

Neither did I, that,s why I kept the Esc-Hybrid system on the Sierra Donor with the 1.8.

But a few others on here have fitted bike carbs and say it gives more power, and when they have done so they went Megajolt.

Below is what I learned from the donor I had 1.8 CVH 1991 vintage with Esc-Hybrid.

The Esc-Hybrid system has 4 sensors I think if memory is correct.

Incoming Air temp in the filter, water temp, vacuum via its inbuilt MAP sensor and the 36 :1 wheel position sensor.

It controls vacuum switches for choke and something else?(not sure what unless its two stage choke enrichment), also provides a pulsed relay for the electrical heating of the choke bi-metal strip and as such is dependent on the auxiliary output from the alternator

I guess going to bike carbs you would loose some of the functionality of the Esc-Hybrid system and as you can not reprogramme it for different timings dependent on load, extra fuelling etc, it is why they have used Megajolt.

Just a guess, I am no expert on management systems, wish I was.

Adrian

Good grief my . and , and caps are miles out, I keep reviewing it. (Getting sad).

[Edited on 28-12-09 by AdrianH]

stev24276 - 2/1/10 at 04:41 PM

thank you all
i am going the route of keeping the orignal carb set up and hopefully fitting a k&n filter on it if i can get one