Board logo

AARGRHH. Engine won't start. Starter motor problem....
Norfolkluegojnr - 4/3/10 at 07:36 PM

Right, please help us! reaching the end of our patience now, we've been working on the car solidly for weeks now, and everything is finally back together, but we have a problem.

When the key is turned to fire the engine the starter motor 'clicks' repeatedly but nothing else happens. THe motor works fine, we tested it, the wiring is fine (thanks prawnabie), but it sounds like it not engaging the flywheel.

ITs a 1800 Zetec engine, a Ford DOHC starter motor, and a CVH flywheel.

ANY suggestions appreciated.

Breaker - 4/3/10 at 07:40 PM

I think you have some voltage loss at the starter or at the battery clamps.

Try measuring the battery pole voltage, voltage on the battery clamps and voltage at the starter while trying to start the engine.

doddy - 4/3/10 at 07:42 PM

it must be the spacing for the stater motor

mine is fine but i have 1,8 zetec clucth and cvh starter

take you starter out and see how far in the starter cog is from the egde of the bell housing then see how far your stater goes in if that makes sense

Norfolkluegojnr - 4/3/10 at 07:43 PM

At the moment we're using jump leads from a battery on the floor. could that be this issue? We have tried also jumping it from another car....

Norfolkluegojnr - 4/3/10 at 07:45 PM

Doddy:- i thought it might be spacing. does your CVH starter bolt directly to the type 9 bellhousing? or are you using a different box? maybe using a CVH starter would solve the issue?

is it possibly the teeth on the motor are to wide/narrow for the flywheel?

big_wasa - 4/3/10 at 07:47 PM

So it clicks, is it spinning ?

britishtrident - 4/3/10 at 07:49 PM

Which CVH flywheel RWD or FWD ?

big_wasa - 4/3/10 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
Doddy:- i thought it might be spacing. does your CVH starter bolt directly to the type 9 bellhousing? or are you using a different box? maybe using a CVH starter would solve the issue?

Dohc and cvh often use the same starter. So swaping to a cvh wont do anything.

If its not reaching the fly you could try a pinto starter.

doddy - 4/3/10 at 07:50 PM

yes mine bolt on the type 9
i dont know if the cvh on will work if you take yours out and tell me how far out the cog is i can check my one for you

Norfolkluegojnr - 4/3/10 at 07:53 PM

not sure if its a RWD or FWD, i assume this makes a difference? is there some way to tell?

Yes, clicking (repeatedly) but not spinning. is it shooting forward, but hitting the flywheel and getting returned? maybe needs to be spaced back a little?

i measured the throw of the starter cog, and it seems to match the depth to the flywheel. if not the same its only 1 or 2 mm out.

norfolkluego - 4/3/10 at 07:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr

Dohc and cvh often use the same starter. So swaping to a cvh wont do anything.

If its not reaching the fly you could try a pinto starter.

If it wasn't reaching the fly wouldn't it just spin up but not turn the fly, that's not what it's doing, just making a rapid tak-tak-tak noise (just to say again out of the car it throws and spins up correctly)

big_wasa - 4/3/10 at 07:58 PM

Well I can aswer that for you if its the one from me.

Its from a rwd 1.8cvh 1993 ford sierra.

You could u2u "lsdweb" as he has used one in his.

big_wasa - 4/3/10 at 08:01 PM

Can you turn the engine by hand ?

Norfolkluegojnr - 4/3/10 at 08:02 PM

engine turning ok by hand, no issues there.....

norfolkluego - 4/3/10 at 08:02 PM

Yep, no problem turning by hand and yes again it is the fly I got from you

Norfolkluegojnr - 4/3/10 at 08:03 PM

this is probably, confusing people: Dad you lead the thread....

norfolkluego - 4/3/10 at 08:05 PM

Apologies about all these Norfolkluego posts, jnr is staying here while he moves house, using my broadband, drinking my beer and moving his psycho cat in (but not fixing the car!!!!)

big_wasa - 4/3/10 at 08:10 PM

didnt spot the jr bit

I would really check the wirring and the battery.

norfolkluego - 4/3/10 at 08:16 PM

quote:
didnt spot the jr bit

I would really check the wirring and the battery.

Well tomorrow it's getting the man size battery off the Pajero, that should either make it work or blow it up

big_wasa - 4/3/10 at 08:17 PM

from my spare lucas lr707

big_wasa - 4/3/10 at 08:30 PM

Just another thought as you have had the engine out. have you checked the earth from the engine to the battery ?

All the little things that can be over looked when swaping engines.

norfolkluego - 4/3/10 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Just another thought as you have had the engine out. have you checked the earth from the engine to the battery ?

All the little things that can be over looked when swaping engines.

Wiring is as you described but we're jumping it from a spare (not very good) battery, think we need to bolt a good one in and connect everything up properly and try again

will121 - 4/3/10 at 09:04 PM

quote:

if you connect it up on the bench as big_wasa said with good earth connection to the starter flange should work fine, if not check battery voltage when trying to make sure ok or sounds faulty starter.

norfolkluego - 4/3/10 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by will121
quote:

if you connect it up on the bench as big_wasa said with good earth connection to the starter flange should work fine, if not check battery voltage when trying to make sure ok or sounds faulty starter.

Tried that and it works fine off the car

will121 - 4/3/10 at 09:39 PM

Ive re-read the thread again now, if starter runs fine on the bench, next thing im thinking when installled, is have you got a good earth from battery to engine block? could be as you mentioned solinoid not getting thrown out enough to engage main starter switch and finally is it actually spinning but to short to engage ring gear? a few measurements should resolve but as you said earlier may be a couple mm out but that couple mm could be the differance between working or not

Dusty - 4/3/10 at 10:41 PM

If it makes a machine gun like noise, tak tak tak tak then it will commonly be down to marginal power in the battery or poor contacts in the circuit. What can happen is there is plenty of power to move the solenoid to give the tak but this then connects the starter windings. These drop the power to a level that no longer holds the solenoid in so it drops back, power jumps as the starter goes out of circuit, enough to operate the solenoid for another tak and the cycle repeats rapidly like a machine gun.

norfolkluego - 4/3/10 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
If it makes a machine gun like noise, tak tak tak tak then it will commonly be down to marginal power in the battery or poor contacts in the circuit. What can happen is there is plenty of power to move the solenoid to give the tak but this then connects the starter windings. These drop the power to a level that no longer holds the solenoid in so it drops back, power jumps as the starter goes out of circuit, enough to operate the solenoid for another tak and the cycle repeats rapidly like a machine gun.

That's exactly what's happening, got the hump with the car tonight, won't work, I'm tired, it's freezing AGAIN, don't know what I'd do without you guys.

DIY Si - 5/3/10 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty

That's exactly what's happening, got the hump with the car tonight, won't work, I'm tired, it's freezing AGAIN, don't know what I'd do without you guys.

Having owned a mini for many years, that's the sound of a low battery. As said, it's the solenoid cycling and not engaging properly. Check all the connections and swap the battery for a newly charged one. Trying to turn an engine over can flatten a battery in no time at all if it's been stood for a while.

norfolkluego - 6/3/10 at 08:46 PM

We finally got this sorted last night, it was down to a bad earth. It's a bit strange and we also had this problem with the Crossflow (which is what suddenly popped up in my brain last night). Our main earth strap goes to a bolt through a chassis member, everything earthed to chassis is OK, nothing earthed to block/bellhousing earths properly, god knows why. Solved the problem by ruuning another earth strap direct to the bell housing. First saw this problem on the Crossflow when I moved the main earth from the chassis to the block (on the basis the the block's connected to the chassis via the mounts so it shouldn't matter) after that we had intermittent missfires/cut outs that we eventually tracked down to the fuel pump not earthing. Don't know why it should need two but it does.