Board logo

whining sound
joscorstjens - 21/7/10 at 12:54 AM

Hi, I hear this wining sound when idling. It's a 2.0 injected pinto and it got a couple of high revs (6700) during testdriving.
The whining seems to come from the crankshaft near cylinder 4.
Could anyone help me diagnose the problem a bit further?

nitram38 - 21/7/10 at 03:04 AM

Sorry that whining sound is the wife!

MakeEverything - 21/7/10 at 06:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

D'oh beat me to it!

Mine gives me a constant whining sound, and it doesnt even have an engine in it at the moment!!

[Edited on 21-7-10 by MakeEverything]

ReMan - 21/7/10 at 07:12 AM

OK I'll do the slightly sensible post

Are you saying the engine has been running well for some time and now, since over-revving it it is making this noise?

Apart from the noise is it still running well?

It may be that you can't diagnose it any more than taking it apart and looking for damage, but unless it's really bad it may be just a case of hoping it get's better (or worse)

As far as what it could be, is difficult to guess, anything from a belt to a bent conrod. Also sometimes the noises are not from where they sound like they are from.

MakeEverything - 21/7/10 at 07:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joscorstjens
Hi, I hear this wining sound when idling. It's a 2.0 injected pinto and it got a couple of high revs (6700) during testdriving.
The whining seems to come from the crankshaft near cylinder 4.
Could anyone help me diagnose the problem a bit further?

If its only when driving, then i doubt its anything to do with the engine. It could be noise transmission through the shaft, or maybe even a bearing in the diff?

mcerd1 - 21/7/10 at 07:38 AM

did it make any difference if your foot was on the clutch or not ?

l0rd - 21/7/10 at 08:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

D'oh beat me to it!

Mine gives me a constant whining sound, and it doesnt even have an engine in it at the moment!!

[Edited on 21-7-10 by MakeEverything]

Just put the cosworth in. Then she will be giving you a grunting sound.

thunderace - 21/7/10 at 09:08 AM

it could be the water pump or altinater bearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHy7qbF-nyA

joscorstjens - 21/7/10 at 09:58 AM

The engine has been running well for the 3000 miles I put on it, I just put on a bit more high-revving the last couple of days (6500 rpm and higher but below 7000). Now this noise is there constantly when idling. Pressing the clutch-pedal makes the sound a little bit different but not much. When giving a dot on the throttle pedal, the sound disappears for like half a second but then comes back. I'll try to run the engine without alternator belt but that is definitely not the area the noise appears to come from. Any more hints are quite welcome.

omega 24 v6 - 21/7/10 at 11:34 AM

Could be a passenger seat problem.

IS ALONSO SITTING IN IT

joscorstjens - 21/7/10 at 07:58 PM

Here is some more information.
When the engine is started cold, there is no whining noise. After a couple of minutes, the noise is back. When I depess the clutch pedal, the noise disappears. Yesterday it did not disappear but then then the engine was very hot.

Could this be the release bearing or the spigot bearing?

bob - 21/7/10 at 08:07 PM

Release bearing.

Mine did it when i had the pinto in,it would go almost by just leaning my left foot on the clutch pedal so i just pulled the cable up a turn and all was sorted.noise came back on an odd occasion but i just lived with it.