Board logo

Setting cam timing
pdm - 1/8/10 at 06:04 PM

Evening all

Just been thinking through cam timing and have a question please ?

Ages ago I posted about putting in cams and how to time them - I got some sound advice (as usual here) about timing and how to measure lift of cams to work out degrees and TDC etc. So that bit I think I understand now.

Taking this a bit further - on my "practice" engine with the head off and supported, when turning by cam by hand, the cams had a spot where they would "rest" - i.e. if you turned the cam sprocket then they would turn but if you let go they would sort of spring into "rest" position.

So my question is - assuming you've got all the timing sorted, how do you "hold" the cam at the right position without it springing to a "rest" position whilst you put the belt on ?

Don't worry I'm not doing this yet but I do want to plan out what work I am going to do on my donor engine.

As always thanks in advance,
Paul

Dusty - 1/8/10 at 08:04 PM

Depends on the cam to cam wheel fit. Some have a key(pinto) so the wheel is locked to the cam so you can hold the wheel or put a spanner on the cam itself to align. Some are friction fit(zetec) and you can hold/lock the cam in position with a special tool or bar so it doesn't flip back to it's comfy position while you time it up.

[Edited on 1/8/10 by Dusty]

pdm - 2/8/10 at 07:22 AM

Thanks - I'll have to have a look for a locking tool

cheers
Paul