Board logo

reverse lever....
mikegsi - 20/11/10 at 07:39 PM

as per my other posts tonight im trying to tie up a few loose ends with my rebuild....

my Indy has a proper reverse diff/box, though im unsure of which brand, anyhow in the box of assorted nuts, bolts and other bits ive found a shaped piece of metal which fits the drive selector bit of the reverse box, unfortunately its a little short and doesnt reach through properly

im planning on routing it next to the gear selector, possibly drilling a hole near the hole for the gear selector for it to run through.

anyone else with a similar setup, how did you do it and what did you use??

bitsilly - 20/11/10 at 08:22 PM

By the colours it looks like a quaife to me, but never seen an MNR one, and don't know if any others exist.
The only thing I can add is that I reversed the position of the lever on my quaife so it pivoted from the opposite side which gave me a better position for the lever.
Regarding where you put the lever, bear in mind that it will rarely be used and think about putting it out of the way rather than next to the gear stick.
Or sell the bloody thing, I hated mine and it sapped HP!

mikegsi - 20/11/10 at 08:57 PM

good points mate, something to bear in mind when deciding where to put the 'selector'

ill prob build it as it is and then decide whether to sell the quaife (possibly) box and go for the electric option instead

rf900rush - 20/11/10 at 09:27 PM

It's a quaife

Just make sure you fit a reservoir catch botlle to then filler cap.

These boxes tend to spit out it's oil.

Martin

iain b - 20/11/10 at 10:19 PM

the mnr box fits as an exact replacement to the quaife..but the bonus is it saps almost no bhp..i changed mine and gained 5bhp (r1 5pw)and no back lash

rf900rush - 20/11/10 at 11:00 PM

How can a quaife loose 5bhp?

Thats approx 3.7Kw

Put 3.7Kw of heat in a box that size and it will melt.

I have just change my broken quaife to a MNR.
Must admit mech better (less) backlash.
Not so easy getting reverse, and not much difference in noise going in reverse.

bitsilly - 21/11/10 at 10:01 AM

On mine a lot of the energy was noise and vibration rather than heat!