Board logo

Stihl piston repair
andrew-theasby - 29/4/11 at 10:54 PM

Bought a stihl saw at the weekend, took a chance on a non runner that had a spark and seemed to have compression (but doesnt). Ive stripped it down now to find the top ring has half an inch mising and the bottom ones a bit worn. New rings are only a fiver, but the pin that stops the rings rotating has worn away, so does this mean i need a new piston too or how can i extract the remains of the pins to replace them? Also the very top of the bore has a bit of a lip in one place, are these engines pretty forgiving for wear or will it not have any chance of running again? Dont particularly want to buy a new barrel and piston kit at £40 as i only bought the saw cause it was cheap and similarly dont want to spend another £20 on a piston kit if the bores shot as i could get my money back selling it on for spares.
Ideally id like to repair the piston to fit new rings and give it a try and see if anything else needs replacing, is this possible? I cant find a barrel on its own for sale without the full kit.
Thanks

[Edited on 29/4/11 by andrew-theasby]

Danozeman - 30/4/11 at 06:57 AM

Is it the gudgen pin thats worn or the actual piston. Thats what you need to know. Theres normally a circlip at each end of the pin to hold it in.

big_wasa - 30/4/11 at 07:11 AM

No there is a little pin in the ring land to stop the ring turning and the ends coming into the ports.

New piston and rings if its not damaged the bore.

mookaloid - 30/4/11 at 08:29 AM

Used to do loads of these when I was in the block paving game. It was rarely worth replacing just the piston because it only lasted a couple of days. just go for the barrel and piston kit - it will be like new then.

MikeRJ - 30/4/11 at 09:07 AM

If there is a lip at the top of the bore then the top ring will probably get broken again very quickly.

andrew-theasby - 30/4/11 at 02:25 PM

Ok thanks for the warning, PS it wasnt the gudgeon pin its the little pegs that hold the rings in place. Might sell it on for spares then.