Board logo

What BHP should I get from my ST 20v 4age?
blockhead_rich - 4/5/11 at 10:51 PM

I've got a Silvertop 20v 4age, in my Velocity. The engine is all pretty standard, new rings, honed bores, new bearings, seals, etc. Omex 600 ECU, standard cams, 4 into 1 tubular exhaust and standard Toyota inlet trumpets (the plastic ones that are in the standard airbox which I binned). My car is at ATSPEED after it's RR set up session (I'm picking it up tomorrow) and I'm told it only made about 125 BHP @ the wheels which seems a little low (ATSPEED also expected more).

Anyone have any ideas?? ETC??

Rich

rick q - 4/5/11 at 11:19 PM

There's a huge variation between dynos so the results from one can't be compared to another. I'm also told that simple things like keeping tyre pressures high will raise the result [less rolling resistance].

Having said that, my Silvertop which is essentially stock rebuilt with mild cams [no peak power increase just a bit more torque down low] running with a Haltech gave me 127hp at the wheels - same result as yours.

That figure is generally considered the right result for a "stock" engine at the wheels.

Having said that, they still go like the clappers and are the engine of choice because of their high revving nature in my opinion.

atspeed racing - 5/5/11 at 05:59 AM

Interesting Mr. Blockhead_rich. We did have concerns that there was a problem with the engine, but looks as if the power is correct.
We was expecting more than the results we got.

flak monkey - 5/5/11 at 06:47 AM

Well thats about 150bhp at the flywheel, so sounds about right to me for a basically standard engine...

scutter - 5/5/11 at 08:53 AM

That sounds about right, my ST170 engine made 190 at the engine and 151 at the rear wheels.

ATB Dan.