Board logo

First drive with Zetec Conversion
lsdweb - 18/7/04 at 06:59 PM

I drove my 2.0litre Zetec engined Locost for the first time today - pretty bloody impressive! The car was originally built with a 1300 Crossflow. It ran in the 750MC Locost race champioship for a couple of years until I bought it and 'converted' it to road going spec and sprinted / hillclimbed it.

For anybody considering such a conversion - don't hesitate!

I'm competing next week against a guy who was 2.5 seconds a lap quicker than me around Llandow, when I had the stock 1300 crossflow (65BHP?) - I'm hoping to beat him (with 165BHP!)!

Wyn

robbydee - 18/7/04 at 09:57 PM

so what is cost for the conversion?

what did you replace? reuse?
could be tempted away from the pinto..

zilspeed - 18/7/04 at 11:11 PM

What is your spec now - ECu etc..

lsdweb - 19/7/04 at 04:48 PM

Guys

Spec is:

2.0 litre Zetec on twin 45 DCOE's. Emerald Management System, Dunnell sump, CVH flywheel (lighter than Zetec) and starter. Daihatsu alternator, Raceline water rail etc..

I've reused the radiator! I sold the engine - 750MC race spec so made some money back there.

Cost, including chassis mods to move the engine and gearbox back 7 inches -about £2000. I know it seems expensive and a bike engine may have been cheaper, but none of the bits are cheap!

It's taken me quite a few months and I haven't borrowed any money to do it so I'm happy!

The performance feels superb - very lively.

Regards

Wyn

thekafer - 19/7/04 at 11:18 PM

I always thought a Zetec mated to a Miata tranny looked like a good combo....Theres a pix of one in my archive..It's mounted in a Birkin...Guy says it screams...