Board logo

Ignition timing
M - 15/6/11 at 08:10 PM

Can anybody tell me what the correct ignition timing is for a 2.0 Pinto running a Burton BF134 high torque cam. Unfortunately Burton couldn't help. the problem is the engine is running to hot and i dont know whether i need to advance or retard the timing?

Any advise would be welcome.

M

rusty nuts - 15/6/11 at 08:23 PM

Best bet would be to get the engine set up on a rolling road but failing that set it to about 8 deg BTDC and then try altering it slightly each way until you get the best performance without any "pinking" and a cooler exhaust. Suspect from your description it may well be retarded

M - 15/6/11 at 08:25 PM

when you say to retarded would that greater than 8 BTDC or less i cant remember?

mookaloid - 15/6/11 at 08:25 PM

too hot usually means it's retarded. the best way to time a pinto is to advance the ignition until it pinks when you drive it, then back off until it just doesn't. there isn't a reliable 'correct figure' as it varies so much with the different states of tune

welcome to the forum by the way

Cheers

Mark

mookaloid - 15/6/11 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M
when you say to retarded would that greater than 8 BTDC or less i cant remember?

retarded is closer to btdc and advanced is further away from btdc

if you turn the dizzy whilst the engine is running then advancing makes the tickover go faster

M - 15/6/11 at 08:28 PM

Thanks Mark

Great Avitar by the where can i get myself one of those

mookaloid - 15/6/11 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M
Thanks Mark

Great Avitar by the where can i get myself one of those

that would be in the shop at the top of the page

skidmark - 15/6/11 at 09:53 PM

you could also be running lean - what fuelling setup do you have?

scoop - 16/6/11 at 07:34 AM

Is there an order to setting up an engine ie cam timing, dizzy then carbs? I have pinto on bike carbs.

M - 16/6/11 at 08:26 AM

I am using normal unleaded.

To be honest i haven't much expreience in setting up carbs so how would i know if it is running too lean or too rich?