Board logo

Type 9 v MT75 Gearbox
Black Cat - 12/7/11 at 12:46 PM

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I have a type 9 gearbox with a 2L Zetec engine fitted in my Tiger Avon. Recently had a problem with the gearbox, and looks like it may need to be rebuilt.

Firstly, where is the best place in or around Ipswich to get it rebuilt at a reasonable cost, and what should I expect to pay?

Secondly, if I replaced it with the MT75 gearbox, is it a straight swap or will I have to make any modifications?

Lastly, who is the best supplier for a reconditioned type 9 box, or if it’s a straight swap the MT75 gearbox?

Many thanks

neilp1 - 12/7/11 at 02:27 PM

I don't think an MT75 fits in the tunnel without mods.

laptoprob - 12/7/11 at 03:20 PM

Neil,

as Black Cat says you will have some extensive work to get the MT75 box in there mate.

Better of going for a rebuild as it should only cost circa 200 quid.

Rob.

David Jenkins - 12/7/11 at 03:41 PM

Is this "an opportunity" to get an uprated Type 9 box?

You might as well look at the prices at BGH - at least you'll get a more usable set of gear ratios.

rusty nuts - 12/7/11 at 06:28 PM

Another vote for a BGH box, well worth the cost and one of the best mods I've done to my car!

MikeRJ - 12/7/11 at 06:41 PM

IIRC the output shaft fitting is different on the MT75 so would need to modify propshaft as well.

perksy - 12/7/11 at 07:05 PM

TBH i Think fitting a BGH type 9 box is the best Mod i ever did on mine

Just Made it so nice to drive...

Black Cat - 14/7/11 at 12:26 PM

Many thanks for your comments and advice gentlemen.

Went to the BGH website and had a look at their prices and was very tempted, but have opted for a rebuild of my current box for the time being, which will be about a quarter of the price.

But will definitely be looking at of those in the future.