Board logo

Rough running and splutters when revved?
rich201283 - 28/8/04 at 04:43 PM

Ive got a 2ltr pinto that i have just got running, its running a little rough and when i try to rev it, it doesnt want to rev and splutters, i have changed the plugs and coil and checked the leads to no avail, any ideas what could be causing this?

Mark Allanson - 28/8/04 at 06:15 PM

An air leak between the carb and manifold, or between the manifold and the head, dizzy not advancing the ignition enough

Peteff - 28/8/04 at 07:25 PM

If you are using points it could be condenser, is it ballasted?

Mark Allanson - 28/8/04 at 07:45 PM

Pete, what are points? Remember were not all as old as you!!

MikeRJ - 28/8/04 at 09:27 PM

Cam timing perhaps. Spent bloody ages trying to get a 1600 Pinto in my Robin Hood scrapper running (not even going to use it, was just for fun!). Some pillock had set the cam timing several teeth out, but still ran...sort of.

DEAN C. - 30/8/04 at 12:10 AM

If it's not ignition then i'd say it's weak fuel mixture,either pulleing air in as suggested already or the carb needs richening up.
Also I have known fuel to go off,how long has this petrol been in the tank or in a can? It does degrade after a while ,and unleaded is worse than leaded,symptoms being as you described,runs but not willing to rev.
The only other thing I can think of is retarded timing,have you checked your ignition timing as the distributor may have slipped.

johnemms - 6/9/04 at 03:48 PM

Just a thought.... checked the valve clearance lately?