Board logo

Bike Engine Design
scootz - 1/5/13 at 04:15 PM

Still plan on using a Triumph Rocket engine in the trike.

This engine is mounted longitudinally in the bike and the final drive is a shaft.

I want to keep the trike wheelbase relatively short and run a ridiculously wide rear tyre, so for those reasons I'm thinking of
turning the engine through 90 degrees anti-clockwise and attaching a sprocket to the output shaft.

So my first Q... is there a great deal of difference in the forces experienced by an engine driving an inline shaft or a chain at 90 degrees? And if so, what would be likely to go 'wrong' if one was used as the other (bearings, cases, etc.)?

I appreciate this is a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string issue, but all opinions welcome!

kipper - 1/5/13 at 04:41 PM

Be aware of engine rotation or you could end up with 6 speeds in reverse
Denis.

scootz - 1/5/13 at 04:42 PM

Got that sussed Denis... 90 degrees anti is the way forward (literally in this case!).

ReMan - 1/5/13 at 05:23 PM

My gut feeling is yes, that an engine designed for chain drive would have much greater strength and bearing capacity for sideways loads on the output that a shaft design

Angel Acevedo - 22/5/13 at 04:42 AM

I would expect a very short life on the Shaft Oil Seal.

SCAR - 22/5/13 at 07:28 AM

As a minimum I think you would need a short output shaft (carrying a sprocket) with an outer bearing support to ease the sideways loads imposed on the engine by the chain drive. A bearing carrier either side the sprocket would be better to remove the sideways loads from the engine completely, a big job but technically simple.
I think the rocket 3 engine is quite long (wide) so I would expect a bigger problem could be the position of the drive relative to the rear axle especially if you want wide rear wheels, it would be well over to one side.