Board logo

Electronic ignition, megajolt, nodiz, or what?
fha772 - 22/9/13 at 12:13 PM

Hi all,

I've decided to swap the distributor ignition on my Merc, and go for mappable electronic ignition, seeing as all the running problems I've had with the car, have been generally down to the ignition.

So, what do I go for?
Megajolt?
Nodiz?
Or what?

I'm leaning towards Megajolt at the minute, but all this is new to me, so any help would be great.

Cheers Frank.

owelly - 22/9/13 at 12:28 PM

Would you want efi in the future?

fha772 - 22/9/13 at 12:38 PM

At the minute no, as when I go for forced induction in going to use an extra injector driver to cover the hole in the fueling.
But I don't know about further into the future...

Mikef - 22/9/13 at 02:39 PM

I went for a Nodiz. They were very helpful, and felt it had a lot more up to date features than the Megajolt. No need for the EDIS either, came with a good base map, fired first time. Easily programmable on lap top. It has worked perfectly all summer. I have it on a Pinto , and it runs perfectly with instant response , big improvement on the distributor. If you do go for one, give me a U2U as I have a few green and red leds left over that I used for shift lights, they just wire straight in.

MF

snapper - 22/9/13 at 02:41 PM

Megajolt is fairly easy but you will need a trigger wheel and knowledge of the ignition curve so you can program the Megajolt

fha772 - 23/9/13 at 04:59 PM

I've been looking at the Canems ecu today, that seems to quite versatile, and does give me the option of upgrading to EFI in the future without swapping the ecu, and there only an hour away at Scunthorpe which is handy.

At the minute, I think Canems is edging into the lead.

BaileyPerformance - 23/9/13 at 05:43 PM

Megasquirt ms2 v3.0, set it up for ignition only the you can upgrade in the future. We have done this several time before.

We can offer a Ignition only set up (ready for efi) including all parts and labour for £900.

Volvorsport - 23/9/13 at 05:48 PM

123 ignition not float yer boat ...?

fha772 - 23/9/13 at 05:54 PM

What's that, is it a different system to the others?

When you said it before I thought you meant the Merc's standard ignition (it's a Mercedes W123 saloon).

Volvorsport - 23/9/13 at 07:54 PM

Plug in mapped distributor