Board logo

What do I need to keep for a Pinto > Duratec conversion?
lotus_esprit_s1 - 23/2/14 at 09:10 AM

I have a 2.0 Pinto powered Westfield SEI with type 9 box.

I have just bought locally a Duratec 2.0HE from a 2002 mondeo for £180 complete with all ancillaries, gearbox and new clutch. I already have a Raceline inlet manifold for it and twin 45 Dellortos (yes I know but I have the Dellortos sat here on a shelf doing nothing and the car is already running dellorto 40's)

In the quest for less clutter in my workshop, I'm eager to rid myself of any unneeded parts, is there any point in keep on original inlet and injection system, exhaust manifold, original flywheel etc? Does the gearbox have any value? What else should I put straight in the bin?

Is the new mondeo clutch of any use to me? I will be buying a RWD flywheel and cable type 9 bellhousing.

big-vee-twin - 23/2/14 at 12:59 PM

Keep the exhaust manifold as a pinto exhaust can be modded to fit.

Put the gearbox on eBay, you may need to change alternator too, for a small denso type

I'd fit a new heavy duty pinto friction plate.

You can use an ST 150 flywheel come up on eBay a few times, I used an uprated RS Turbo pressure plate but if you use a FWD pressure plate the fingers have to be shortened to allow the release bearing guide tube to fit.

Don't forget the spiggot bearing.

Also make sure your new bell housing has a bolt fitted into the pocket on the back like pic below or you will find you layshaft will fall out

[img] Layshaft retaining bolt
Layshaft retaining bolt
[/img]

ali f27 - 23/2/14 at 03:37 PM

You say your using 45s if so keep fuel rail and injectors to block holes in head if you blank them off permanantly you cannot then use them if you want to go fuel injection in future