Board logo

Dunning & Fairbank Propshafts
40inches - 25/3/14 at 10:06 AM

Anyone used them? Good or bad experience.

twybrow - 25/3/14 at 10:58 AM

Good. Very good in fact. The quality is spot on, and I have had great service. I bought my prop from them originally, and then I had them overhaul and modify it when I did an engine change. Always good service in my experience.

40inches - 25/3/14 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Good. Very good in fact. The quality is spot on, and I have had great service. I bought my prop from them originally, and then I had them overhaul and modify it when I did an engine change. Always good service in my experience.

That's good to know. I was told 3 days to modify my prop, it's a week late so far. They are very busy, apparently.
Have just phoned them, it will be despatched on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

twybrow - 25/3/14 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

That's good to know. I was told 3 days to modify my prop, it's a week late so far. They are very busy, apparently.
Have just phoned them, it will be despatched on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

I even had them bond magnets onto my prop for the speedo, before doing the balancing - they were very accommodating.

jossey - 25/3/14 at 11:57 AM

I used them... No issues. Great quality. Not cheap but I guess a broken prop is gonna cost you .....

scootz - 25/3/14 at 12:02 PM

Excellent service and quality product.

40inches - 25/3/14 at 12:30 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
I went with DF because they were about £100 cheaper than Bailey Morris

ashg - 25/3/14 at 01:01 PM

i have used d&f many times always spot on. i think once in the past when i ordered one it was late. i called them they apologised and i had it the following day.

big_wasa - 25/3/14 at 03:11 PM

Very very good but that was a few years ago.

johnemms - 25/3/14 at 04:08 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=160962
a few prices a while back..

owelly - 25/3/14 at 06:06 PM

They've made me two prop shafts, modified one and rebuilt my transit shafts. Very good on all counts!!

Sam_68 - 25/3/14 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Very very good but that was a few years ago.

Ditto here. That was back in the day that John Beardmore (he of the mental Morris Minors and V8-engined Kitten fame) worked for them. No reason to suspect they're not equally good now, though.

strikerbird - 25/3/14 at 09:28 PM

They made me one a few weeks ago really good quality, only took a few days and were 50 quid cheaper than where I normally use.

40inches - 27/3/14 at 04:55 PM

Had a phone call today. Prop will be with me tomorrow
Everything said about D&F appears to be true. The prop went to them to have a TRT fitted at cost of £140+vat.
Because the prop had been built with Chinese UJ's and centre bearing, after 1800 miles it is goosed.
So, I now have a new prop with Freelander UJ's, a quality centre bearing and TRT for £175+vat instead of the usual £260+
Guy said they should have asked me before doing extra work. Well chuffed