Board logo

Water rails
JohnH - 10/5/14 at 03:30 PM

Hi, going to start with the cooling system next. I was looking for pictures and information on what others had used ? Water rails, retro ford, or home made rails ......... Thanks guys.

Paul Turner - 10/5/14 at 04:27 PM

Here is mine. The best way is to use the standard Ford thermostat since its free and does the job correctly. The altenatives either cost a fortune, do not allow coolant circulation during warm up or both.

And here is a diagram of how to connect it all up (no heater).

Dusty - 10/5/14 at 04:35 PM

Best option with a zetec to my mind is to use the original ford thermostat housing if you possibly can. Mine allows a thermostat change from the side and I have mounted the engine to give half inch clearance behind the housing. Fitting a rail would have allowed the engine to be fitted at most 1.25" further back. Lots of people seem to have cooling problems and take a while to sort them with zetec rails.

JohnH - 10/5/14 at 06:09 PM

Thanks guys.... Just been looking today, the water rails are sooooooo dear. Think it'll be sticking with hose and pipe.

ludsonline - 13/5/14 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
Here is mine. The best way is to use the standard Ford thermostat since its free and does the job correctly. The altenatives either cost a fortune, do not allow coolant circulation during warm up or both.

And here is a diagram of how to connect it all up (no heater).

In your diagram, where would the heater fit in?

Cheers

Luds

Paul Turner - 14/5/14 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ludsonline

Cheers

Luds

On the drivers side of the stat housing there is an outlet that I have blanked off, that is one connection. For the other you would need to insert a tee piece in the bypass hose as close to the stat housing as possible. That is how it is piped on the Mondeo, Focus etc but I have not had a heater in my seven since 1989.

tims31 - 14/5/14 at 11:19 AM

[quote

Cheers

Luds

See the post I did here asking that question. Look down from the first post and there is a diagram

HTH

Description
Description

[Edited on 14/5/14 by tims31]