Board logo

Torque tube
krlthms - 16/11/04 at 04:42 AM

Hello Friends,
Karl here, my first post although I have been following the forums for a while.
My eleven year old son and I are planning to build a Locost for road and possibly autocross. We are at the research stage, although we are likely to use a Mazda MX7 as a donor car (they are cheap here), at least for the non-engine parts. For engine, we are thinking 3 litre Duratec. I have a couple of general questions:
1. What is the difference between a prop shaft and a torque tube? We came across a Dutch Locost-esque car that uses torque tube and we don’t understand the concept.
2. For a front engine, RWD car, with a rear transaxle, where does the clutch reside (at the engine end, or at the diff)?
Many thanks and best regards
Karl Thomas

phoenix70 - 16/11/04 at 08:23 AM

1. A Torque tube is a part of the suspension, if I'm not mistaken.

2. Normally for a Transaxle setup, the clutch is at the Engine end.

zetec - 16/11/04 at 08:43 AM

A torque tube is used with a rear mounted gearbox and takes drive from the engine to the gearbox, thats all I know! I think Porsche used them on their "9" series front engined cars

Bob C - 16/11/04 at 10:18 AM

It could easily have several meanings: my old rwd cavalier (manta) claimed to have a torque tube - this was a piece of pipe on the nose of the diff that was clamped in a rubber block on the chassis about 70cm forward of the axle. It prevented sideways movement of the axle (so did a panhard rod...) and coped with the torque reaction of the axle. The back half of the prop went down the middle of it.
cheers
Bob

gazza285 - 16/11/04 at 10:50 AM

A transaxle set-up can have the clutch at either end, but for a Seven it's probably better to have the clutch at the engine end due to the encroachment into the cockpit.

Chris Green - 17/11/04 at 08:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by krlthms
Hello Friends,
Karl here, my first post although I have been following the forums for a while.
My eleven year old son and I are planning to build a Locost for road and possibly autocross. We are at the research stage, although we are likely to use a Mazda MX7 as a donor car (they are cheap here), at least for the non-engine parts. For engine, we are thinking 3 litre Duratec. I have a couple of general questions:
1. What is the difference between a prop shaft and a torque tube? We came across a Dutch Locost-esque car that uses torque tube and we don’t understand the concept.
2. For a front engine, RWD car, with a rear transaxle, where does the clutch reside (at the engine end, or at the diff)?
Many thanks and best regards
Karl Thomas

Hello Karl,

Where abouts are you from?

I am unsure about what you mean when you say "autocross".

In the uk, an autocross is an off road race, usually held between production cars.

I believe that in the states, an autocross is something different. More of a short sprint on tarmac. Similar to a new breed of events over here which are called "Solo's". which are basically forward-only autotests.

I would think that for an off road event, the suspension travel would need to be modified.

Best Regards,

Chris.

[Edited on 17-11-04 by Chris Green]

Peteff - 17/11/04 at 10:50 AM

Is it the one where you run a preset course and perform set manouevres round obstacles. I went to one once just for Minis and a girl won it. Everyone else was spinning the wheels and sliding round knocking cones over and she drove like she was going to the shops and parking up at home. As they say, more haste less speed.

MikeRJ - 17/11/04 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Is it the one where you run a preset course and perform set manouevres round obstacles.

That's the one. Modified mini's are pretty much the most competitive car for these events.

MikeRJ - 17/11/04 at 02:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Green
In the uk, an autocross is an off road race, usually held between production cars.

Are you thinking of rallycross?

Chris Green - 17/11/04 at 04:46 PM

No, Autocross.

Similar to Rallycross, but it used to be for road cars.

They aren't too common nowadays.

Take a look here for info...

Regards,

Chris.

Chris Green - 17/11/04 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Is it the one where you run a preset course and perform set manouevres round obstacles. I went to one once just for Minis and a girl won it. Everyone else was spinning the wheels and sliding round knocking cones over and she drove like she was going to the shops and parking up at home. As they say, more haste less speed.

I believe this would have been an autotest. Driving round cones, reversing through gates, stopping astride the lines etc.

Solo's are our new events over here which are forward only versions of an autotest. There are only a few each year at the moment, More info can be found here

A perfect event for locosts though. No where near as expensive as sprints or hill climbs.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris.