Board logo

Cougar v6 flywheel with jag box?
Talon Motorsport - 7/4/15 at 06:15 PM

Long storey made short I picked up a 2.5 V6 Cougar cheap and threw a Jag 3L gearbox on it along with matching S type starter motor, currently it has the Mondeo/Cougar flywheel and it seems the starter is shy of engaging with the ring gear by 8-10mm ie it's not the right diameter. Does the 3L jag flywheel fit straight on to the 2.5 crank or can I get away with swapping the ring gear from the cheaper to buy auto box ring gear plate?
Looking back at it now it would have been cheaper to just buy a Jag and drop the whole lot in as one lump....

40inches - 7/4/15 at 06:25 PM

I have a Ford 2.5 flywheel and it fits the 3 litre Jag engine, but as you say the ring gears are different teeth and diameters.
I gave up and fitted the Jag DMF
Similar problem here. Seems like a bit of a faff if you don't have access to the machinery.

Talon Motorsport - 7/4/15 at 06:35 PM

Ah thanks for that, I'll spend £30 on an auto box ring gear plate and destroy that before buying a duel mass.

40inches - 7/4/15 at 07:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Talon Motorsport
Ah thanks for that, I'll spend £30 on an auto box ring gear plate and destroy that before buying a duel mass.

I was lucky, I won a complete brand new clutch kit with DMF on eBay for less than £150, that's a third of the usual price
I have an auto flexplate if you want it for postage?

Badger_McLetcher - 7/4/15 at 11:36 PM

As noted above, Mondeo ring gear doesn't engage with the S-type flywheel - it's also a fair bit thinner from memory. Here's a couple of pics (ST200 flywheel is on the right):

I was looking at machining up an adapter to use the auto flex plate with the Mondeo/S-type clutch - it looks feasible but that's as far as I've got as it's pretty low priority at this point.