Board logo

Spigot Bearing
grusks - 28/4/05 at 06:34 PM

Whats the best way to get these little f*&ker out for a crank. Apart from the old wifes tale of filling with grease etc.

zilspeed - 28/4/05 at 06:41 PM

If you are able to get in with a mig welder, run a continuous bead of weld round the inside of the bearing. This shrinks it and it comes out relatively easily.
This works for mashed front wheel bearings stuck in hub carriers.

rusty nuts - 28/4/05 at 06:45 PM

The old wives tale works for me, failing that a small slide hammer. To use the grease method use a good fitting piece of bar and hit sharply with hammer, too loose a bar will not work

britishtrident - 28/4/05 at 08:12 PM

Fill it with grease

Mr G - 28/4/05 at 10:27 PM

Packed mine with grease and used a cut off input shaft (perfect fit) - Still would'nt budge.

In the end I took a Dremel to it

If I thought it might of been used more than once I would of bought a puller.....

Btw : Old spigot bearing's used to be bronze so you got an excellent seal for the grease trick - the roller bearings they use now don't give a decent seal.

Cheers

G

[Edited on 28/4/05 by Mr G]

Micael - 29/4/05 at 09:18 AM

Can someone explain to me how its done with grease.

omega 24 v6 - 29/4/05 at 11:33 AM

never done this before BUT does anyone think a rawl bolt would work as a puller in this situation. I know it would put force on the sides of the bush making it effectively tighter but i've an inkling that it might work.

What do the rest of you think ( no smart arse replies please as i'm a sensitive soul )

britishtrident - 29/4/05 at 11:55 AM

If the body of the raw aw bolt is ground down so it hooks in behind the bearing yes.

britishtrident - 29/4/05 at 12:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Micael
Can someone explain to me how its done with grease.

Hole is packed solid with grease -- very important to leave no air pockets, then a close fitting dowl is entered into the hole and given a single sharp tap, the bearing is forced out under hydraulic pressure. This works every time provided the dowl fits the hole properly and no air pockets are left

Micael - 29/4/05 at 03:49 PM

Thanks

Bob C - 29/4/05 at 08:21 PM

I've had mixed results with the grease system, one pass (but I got covered in grease...) and one fail - where I had to make a special tool in the end; this was a threaded insert, sawn up. Poke it through the bearing & screw the bolt in so it locks behind - then keep screwing (!) & the bolt pushes the spigot out. (hope that makes sense)

grusks - 29/4/05 at 09:06 PM

Cheers everyone

Simon - 29/4/05 at 11:32 PM

I've used the grease method, which works fine if old spigot ok.

However, one was completely knackered, so I managed to use a hack saw (carefully) and cut it out.

ATB

Simon

jollygreengiant - 30/4/05 at 09:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If the body of the raw aw bolt is ground down so it hooks in behind the bearing yes.

No need to modify at all. They work fine lAll you need is the right sze bolt, A large heavy washer and 2 lever bars to give balanced levering. I have done it this way for years. What this didn't get out the Gas-Axe did.

Enjoy.