Board logo

my engine mounts, comments please
ned - 17/5/05 at 01:24 PM

started on my engine mounts on sunday evening. I had popped round ot see James for some 3mm plate (thank you James) and he didn't think my idea would be strong enough, i've made a start, anyone care to comment?

I recon it should be as strong and possibly lighter (apart from the extra welding!) than one larger tube which appears to be the norm..

I must admit getting the welder tip into the tight bits was a bit of a nightmare, clark don't seem to do a tighter shroud that i can find though .

os engine mount
os engine mount

os engine mount
os engine mount

Ned.

bob - 17/5/05 at 01:35 PM

You must have a whole in your garage roof ned,theirs's pidgeon poo on them

Jon Bradbury - 17/5/05 at 01:37 PM

Hi Ned

Your welding looks far better than mine but even so I'd be concerned about the strength of the outer joint. Lots of weld there - are you sure it's penetrated properly? On the close up photo I can't see much evidence behind the nut - I'd expect some heat discolouration here, unless you have painted it?

Other than that it looks a pretty neat design.

ned - 17/5/05 at 01:44 PM

i'm confident in the pentration of the welding, you can see discolouration on them first hand jon ( i might try and get a small bead round the inside aswell).

the spatter is from where i was trying to get into the hard to reach bits and a combination of missing on occassions and having the wire spped a bit high, i'm also slightly out of practise, they will look a lot better once tidied up and painted..

Ned.

[Edited on 17/5/05 by ned]

britishtrident - 17/5/05 at 01:44 PM

Should work ---

NS Dev - 17/5/05 at 02:22 PM

Mine are somewhat simpler (good to see our engine heights relative to the chassis are the same though)

PS, I didn't weld the chassis, it's an ST one so don't blame the spatter on me! Also ignore the rusty engine block, it's just a dummy scrap XE block used for checking stuff, and ignore the rusty short steering shaft, I just found it and used it to check some clearances!

Offside engine mount
Offside engine mount

Nearside Engine mount
Nearside Engine mount

[Edited on 17/5/05 by NS Dev]

NS Dev - 17/5/05 at 02:27 PM

PS the light coloured disc under the mount in one of the photos is a spacer washer, I used these to give me 8mm of scope to lower the engine or raise the engine without running out of thread on the mounts in either direction.

Volvorsport - 17/5/05 at 02:28 PM

as long as you have kept the original engine mount geometry , theyll be less torque on the mount . If you changed that , you may end up with a roll couple in cornering , putting more stress on them .

NS Dev - 17/5/05 at 02:30 PM

Mine are not as per the original geometry (can't be without being a total bodge) so I have just used much harder rubber mounts to compensate.

Volvorsport - 17/5/05 at 02:37 PM

i think theyll be fine like !!!

Surrey Dave - 17/5/05 at 02:38 PM

Ned - What rubbers are those ,and how high are they ? , my bouncy Sierra ones keep causing some amusment!!!

The mounts look feasible , you've got a bit of diagonal there ,so your not just relying on the welds, mine come straight out but i put a gussett on the top to try and get the same effect. if i'd used thinner mounting rubbers I could have got more angle.

Liam - 17/5/05 at 02:50 PM

Looks bitchin to me.

Liam

ned - 17/5/05 at 03:08 PM

NS Dev,

yep thats a dummy block in my chassis too at the moment..

Dave,

I think they're fiesta mounts, they feel very stiff and i think must be about 30-35mm thick (can check tonight if you like)

The piece round the bolt started life as 1.6mm sheet, i cut a piece out and bent it round a 19mm long reach socket (to give clearance for the 17mm socket that the nut requires) with a mole grip and by hand/hammer. the round tube is actually from b&q! i think its 16mm x1mm thick iirc

Ned.

[Edited on 17/5/05 by ned]

bob - 17/5/05 at 03:46 PM

yep fiesta mounts,pretty stiff too.

Dave
I might be able to get these at a good price,i'm going top try and get down to the trade counter next week.

Neds design is pretty much like some caterham mounts i have seen,they used the 3 bar system too.

theconrodkid - 17/5/05 at 04:04 PM

dont like them ned,they are too "straight across",coming down at an angle is better,as you cant really do that hows about some 3mm plate cut into triangles to take place of the small tubes

ned - 17/5/05 at 04:06 PM

sorry conrod, but 3mm plate, yuk! how heavy!!

Ned.

Northy - 17/5/05 at 05:21 PM

yup, fiesta mounts.

Surrey Dave - 17/5/05 at 05:33 PM

Mine are made of 6mm angle iron with 6mm ,top gussetts how heavy?!!

I think it's costing me 3 tenths at Lombard roundabout

Northy - 17/5/05 at 05:44 PM

Mmmmm, I think more like 4 tenths!

Surrey Dave - 17/5/05 at 09:36 PM

You're right could be 4 tenths..........

[Edited on 17/5/05 by Surrey Dave] Rescued attachment engmount1sml.jpg
Rescued attachment engmount1sml.jpg

Northy - 17/5/05 at 09:38 PM

Rorty - 18/5/05 at 05:52 AM

Ned, they're overkill if you were to ask me (which you probably had no intention of doing!). They look as if they could support something much heavier.
I prefer a single tube like NS Dev's, though angled down like theconrodkid said.
Way too much time spent on them!

NS Dev - 18/5/05 at 07:00 AM

Will agree on the angle thing. In my pics, the one taken from overhead is actually at a nice angle (but you can't see that in the pic) but on the Vauxhall engine the mount holes in the block are not at the same height on each side, and with the engine at the requisite height in the chassis, I cannot get any more angle on the tube on the offside and still have room for the mount rubber. I am toying with the idea of adding a gusset under where the tube meets the plate on the offside mount, but it's all painted nicely now!!!

James - 18/5/05 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
Ned - What rubbers are those ,and how high are they ? , my bouncy Sierra ones keep causing some amusment!!!

Pretty sure they're Fiesta gearbox mounts. What MK have been using for years.

They're about 40mm tall.

Cheers,
James

James - 18/5/05 at 10:21 AM

Ned,

Looks good- I would have guessed not strong enough (specially with your 250BHP! ) but if others say it's cool then I guess so.

Like Conrod I wonder if they're a little 'horizontal' though. Could you bring the top tube above the top bolt? That would give you scope to raise the other two tubes too.

Obviously the 3mm plate would have to be bigger but this could be compensated for by removing a piece from the middle!

Your welcome for the plate though!

Cheers,
James

ned - 18/5/05 at 10:34 AM

James,
I did consider putting the tubes outside the bolts, but then i'd have real issues getting the bolts into the holes and doing them up!!

the horizontalness is as NS Dev says the height of the engine mounts on the block (different on each side of the engine) and the height that the engine has to sit in the chassis to get clearance for the bonnet..

Ned.

garage19 - 18/5/05 at 11:17 AM

Try Landrover V8 mounts. About 3 quid each and very strong.

Look about the same size as the fiesta ones if not smaller and 36mm thick.

James - 20/5/05 at 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ned
James,
I did consider putting the tubes outside the bolts, but then i'd have real issues getting the bolts into the holes and doing them up!!

Yeah, guess so. The tube could always be to the side (front or back) of the bolt hole. Wouldn't make any difference structurally I'd have thought. If you use socket caps the tube could still be pretty close to the bolt.

James

ned - 20/5/05 at 03:04 PM

i do plan on using socket caps, but didnt have any to hand when cutting the angled ends of the tubes, so i may have been a bit generous with the gaps

skippad - 21/5/05 at 09:24 AM

I did mine like this
They were cut down Nissan tie bars(i think) Hard rubber very little movement and light!
Bugger pic didnt load up!
Ill try again

[Edited on 21/5/05 by skippad]

skippad - 21/5/05 at 09:27 AM

Try this