Board logo

securing the exhaust insulation
JoelP - 7/8/05 at 04:21 PM

anyone know the best way to do this? Obviosuly ive wrapped it all on well, so only the ends can come loose. On the last exhaust i insulated, i used jubilee clips, but they look a bit messy and also have SVA problems i guess.

Would nylon thread take the heat? certainly a tie wrap wont... I tucked both under this time, and after i went out for a blat they had about 6 inches flapping around when i checked.

I might point out though, its done the trick nicely! The temperature gauge was perminantly at the top, now it is at least 5mm lower even after an enthusiastic drive.

Any ideas anyone?!

Hellfire - 7/8/05 at 05:29 PM

Wire.?

omega 24 v6 - 7/8/05 at 05:37 PM

Yep I agree with hellfire a nice bit of stainless steel mig wire will do the job.

JoelP - 7/8/05 at 05:37 PM

smartarse...

omega 24 v6 - 7/8/05 at 05:46 PM

Thank you

rusty nuts - 7/8/05 at 06:28 PM

Used stainless cable ties that came with the exhaust " lagging " Got mine from Car Builders Solutions I think . It's possible to get them elsewhere ,possibly Europa ,

davidwag - 7/8/05 at 09:35 PM

I use stanless steel lockwire with twisted/cut ends tucked away where you won't catch your hand on them.

David

Mix - 8/8/05 at 06:19 AM

Kevlar thread whipped on would look so much nicer IMO

Mick

Hornet - 8/8/05 at 07:10 AM

tucked mine in...I've done 500ish miles.. only thing flappin is my A$*e as I spin the backend at every roundabout... sooo much fun

theconrodkid - 8/8/05 at 03:21 PM

use the clips for CV boots,its satinless and designed to be pulled tight and bent back to secure,most garages will have some kicking about

Nick Davison - 8/8/05 at 03:35 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread but have you wrapped any cast iron manifolds with it or are all your's stainless or steel.

Proven Products say that it can't be used on cast Iron as it may crack, is this true as my manifold and turbo casting is mostly cast?

Nick

theconrodkid - 8/8/05 at 04:23 PM

ive heard it can crack cast manifolds,but you can buy turbo shaped kits so the answer is .....dunno

David Jenkins - 8/8/05 at 08:02 PM

I used the stainless 'tie-wraps' that came with my pipe lagging - nasty, spiky things! I'm forever scratching my hands every time I work anywhere near them, even though I tried to fold the ends out of harm's way. I have never managed to do them up tight, either.

If I ever re-do the lagging, I'll use SS MIG wire.

David

NS Dev - 10/8/05 at 11:44 AM

stainless mig wire every time, cheap as chips!!

JoelP - 10/8/05 at 10:07 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7992133363&fromMakeTrack=true

this place is almost as cheap as the cooltec place

i used some spare jubilee clips in the end anyway

[Edited on 10/8/05 by JoelP]