Board logo

X-flow queries
richyo - 24/8/05 at 07:28 AM

Two quick ones today.
I'm started to strip the head on my 1300 x-flow last night but dont have the correct socket fot the main head studs. can any confirm the correct size before I buy one ?
I think its 18mm but confirmation would be good.

I'm also strippiong the rocker assembly to gove it a good clean and Haynes says take out split pin at end and everything should slide off. Not the rocker posts !
Am I missing something or does it just need a good soak in degreaser ?

TIA

Richyo

britishtrident - 24/8/05 at 07:38 AM

Kent Xflo engines don't have any metric threads -all the threads are SAE unified that is UNC and a few UNF so the hexes are imperial inch AF sizes, get your self a set of AF sockets and spanners before you ruin all the hexes.

istr the head bolts need an 11/16" AF socket.

[Edited on 24/8/05 by britishtrident]

johnjulie - 24/8/05 at 07:42 AM

Why are you using a 1300, when there are so many 1600s about?
The head bolts are imperial,as are all the bolts on the engine. Not sure of the size.
Go and get yourself a decent PROFFESIONAL socket set from Halfords, they are having a sale at the mo. The shaft should knock through. Once the pin is out, everything should slide off the shaft. May need a gentle tap! Take note of what goes where!
Check the rocker faces for wear, you can reface them if they are not too worn with a sharpening stone.
Get hold of Peter Wallages book, Tuning the Ford Kent Crossflow Engine.
Cheers John

richyo - 24/8/05 at 11:16 AM

I'm using a 1300 cause it came free with my free Mk2 doner.

I did this when Iwas younger, but it was 20 years ago

Thanks so far

Locost82 - 24/8/05 at 01:07 PM

Personally I would just give the rockers a good clean whilst they're still assembled unless there's something seriously wrong.

The Wallages book is indeed the BIBLE as far as I'm concerned.

On my head bolts I use an 18mm 1/2" drive which is agricultural, but does the trick. Then again, I'm too lazy to drive to Halfrauds!

rusty nuts - 24/8/05 at 05:51 PM

Xflow head bolts are 11/16 A.F. , snap on used to sell a tool specially for torqueing the head bolts without removing rocker assembly . A 3/8ths drive extension with a shallow socket would probably do the job , just saves a few minutes work, anything to make life easy .