Board logo

Help! clutch slipping?
Humbug - 20/9/05 at 11:29 AM

Just took my car on its first outing - c. half a mile to the local MOT place - and the clutch is doing odd things.

Symptoms are that when you accelerate, then clutch to go into the next gear and release the clutch, it takes a couple of seconds to actually re-engage the gear, so it revs then settles down again. It seems to pull ok when settled, so I think the clutch itself is doing the job. I got someone to look at the release fork etc. when I was pumping the pedal and it seems to return OK, and I have fitted a spring to help it return anyway. I did grease the clutch bearing, etc. before fitting, as recommended.

Any suggestions, preferably ones that don't involve taking the engine out?!

Rover 1.4 K-series
Type 9 gearbox with Fisher bellhousing
New clutch
New clutch cable

Cheers

colibriman - 20/9/05 at 11:44 AM

sounds like the clutch cable is only returning slowly....check in case its kinked etc..

NS Dev - 20/9/05 at 12:03 PM

yup, was going to say you had a hydraulic clutch and small bore pipe to the slave, but seeing as it's cable, then yes, sounds kinked.

rusty nuts - 20/9/05 at 12:06 PM

Have to agree with sticking cable or it could be over adjusted if you have a pedal stop fitted? should be approx 2/3mm clearance at lever end

Humbug - 22/9/05 at 02:56 PM

I have checked the cable and I think it is OK... however, driving home last night (in tin top) I had a thought - the bit point of the clutch is very close to the top of the travel of the pedal so I was thinking maybe the problem is that when I push the pedal right donw it is pulling the clutch so far away apart that it sticks a little, then takes a while to ease itself back down - would that make sense?

So I think I could try either or both of:

- put a bolt through the bulkhead to act as a pedal stop

- move the clutch cable connection on the pedal closer to the centre of the pedal pivot - that way, a given movement of the pedal would not pull the cable so far.

Thoughts?