Board logo

Radiator size
Dave Bailey - 22/11/05 at 09:40 PM

I think I may have been a bit hasty buying this radiator for my 2.0 zetec powered Velocity XT. I missed the fact that it was for a bike engined car.

What do you think? Too small and restricted flow?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4591895861&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

thanks
Dave Bailey

Kowalski - 22/11/05 at 10:06 PM

Not sure about this one, but radiator size is an issue for me since I'm planning on quite a big engine. Most car radiators are sized for worst case conditions, hot weather and stationary traffic so you won't need as much radiator in a fast moving locost, but still I'm thinking a Micra radiator is a tad small.

What sort of radiator do the Rover V8 boys use?

Mike R-F - 22/11/05 at 10:21 PM

There seems to be a fair few of these floating around on ebay at the moment. I bought one for my 1700 X flow & feel it should be up to the job. Given a good quality thermo fan I would have thought it would be OK for a pinto (sorry, Zetec). I measure everything by the size of the rad in my 3L Scimitar which is marginal, if your rad is the same as mine, & I'm pretty certain it is, its about 70% of the Scims rad size but probably more efficient. On that basis & given the better airflow through a seven style nosecone I think mine will be just fine.
thi
BTW Mine was sold as Westfield item, see the Westfield shop under cooloing page 3 (I think)
[Edited on 22/11/05 by Mike R-F]

[Edited on 22/11/05 by Mike R-F]

Mark Allanson - 22/11/05 at 10:47 PM

I have a micra rad with the standard fan, it is JUST enough for a 2.0i Pinto, it has never overheated, but gets very warm if stuck in traffic.

Avoneer - 22/11/05 at 10:48 PM

It's the Polo rad that is.

Used on many cars without problems including 2.0 Zetec's and Pintos.

It's the biggest one that will fit in a Locost nose vertically and is very lightweight.

Don't think you can do better, especialy for the price.

Pat...

Baldrick - 23/11/05 at 04:03 AM

I used a "standard" xflow radiator (brand new) for my 1300 xflow. The result was a car that got hot far too quickly - despite electric fan etc. OK in scotland but final straw was in France last year when it just continuously boiled.
Fixed by going to a proper radiator guy who made me a triple row radiator to the same dimensions. It actually cost less than the new one did from a motor factors. (I think standard one was single row).

givemethebighammer - 23/11/05 at 08:58 AM

Micra rad cooling my 2.0L zetec, no problems at all, in fact the rad fan rarely cuts in (using nissan fan switch in the rad [100 degree])
Polo rad should be fine. Car has never overheated, warms up quickly to 85 degrees, rises to about 90 when I thrash it. Even on the track in the middle of summer I didn't see much above 100.

lsdweb - 23/11/05 at 10:40 AM

It's the Polo radiator - I've got one cooling my Zetec - no problem at all and the inlet / outlet are on the right side to make plumbing easier.

Wyn

ayoungman - 23/11/05 at 03:01 PM

There are a couple of different widths of polo rad available. Mine is from a 1.3 Polo. Rescued attachment DSCF0001.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0001.JPG