Board logo

Ecotec anyone?
thekafer - 17/1/06 at 12:21 AM

Has anyone had any experience with the GM Ecotec engine? I believe in Europe they were/are found in opel astras speeders etc.....It's supposed to be really light and small. Does the 2.4l really make 177hp?

It's been a while,...Fletch

dl_peabody - 17/1/06 at 06:44 AM

American made cars.....pontiac soltice and the Staurn "insert crappy, I forgot, the name here (luna? or something like that...)".

Both are Front Engined and RWD, based on the ecotech. The Pontaic puts out 177hp, the saturn 170hp...call the dealer and ask what trans they are using. (a good mechanic could answer too...)
They clain that the development cost is low because of "off the shelf" parts are used.

Yes using the new solstice trans or Luna trans would not be locost but if you found out what trans they use you just may need to figure out the bellhousing....

Either after market/custom built or newish/scrap I think would be the similar price. (I can hunt for the link if you are interested in the companies name that build bellhousing adapters) Let me know....

Was that helpfull?

found at...
Locost USA....
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=110&highlight=solstice

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=199&highlight=solstice

[Edited on 17/1/06 by dl_peabody]

mickebo - 17/1/06 at 06:57 PM

Cadillac Catera is a Opel Omega, but I donīt know if you can have them with manual box.
But that box fits an Ecotec.
If Catera has the Opel V6 engine 2,5l or 3,0l, newer ones 2,6l or 3,2l.
Its called R25 or R28.

liam.mccaffrey - 17/1/06 at 07:15 PM

don't know if it has any us derivatives but i am using a GM ecotec 2ltr, rebadged as a daewoo d-tec

MikeRJ - 17/1/06 at 09:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mickebo
Cadillac Catera is a Opel Omega, but I donīt know if you can have them with manual box.
But that box fits an Ecotec.
If Catera has the Opel V6 engine 2,5l or 3,0l, newer ones 2,6l or 3,2l.
Its called R25 or R28.

The 2.0L Ecotec engined Omegas were available in the UK with a manual box. The manual box from a Vauxhall Carlton also fits, though I don't know if the Carlton was sold in the US and if so under what name.

Liam - 17/1/06 at 10:07 PM

If the original poster has heard they are small and light, are we talking about the very latest all ally ones here? I know there is a 2.2, didn't know about a 2.4 though. Don't know much about them at all actually - will they become popular in kit cars? Do they fit the old vauxhall RWD gearboxes? Good alternative to the latest Ford Duratecs?

Liam

[Edited on 17/1/06 by Liam]

bob - 17/1/06 at 11:10 PM

Would these be a variation of the engine used in the vectra ? i'm sure i've heard these engines have been dubbed ecowreck

liam.mccaffrey - 17/1/06 at 11:29 PM

yep, in vectras

i thought they had a fairly good rep

dave emerald walker gave it a glowing report in ppc last year

mickebo - 18/1/06 at 07:41 PM

the all ally ecotec doesnīt fit the old R25-28 box. (havenīt tried it but it doesnīt look so)
The old ecotec is 2,0 - 2,2 and i think 2,4 in US. The new is 2,0 turbo, 2,2 and 2,4 in US.

Reliable if you change the timingbelt as it should.

bob - 18/1/06 at 08:27 PM

Timimg belt

Yep bloke at work had one replaced on his ecotec vectra,snapped after 6000 miles .

Evidently its advisable to change ALL pulleys on the belt........bit late to tell him now.

[Edited on 18/1/06 by bob]

mickebo - 20/1/06 at 10:53 PM

We always change all pulleys and mostly the waterpump.
It comes in a kit.

bob - 21/1/06 at 09:16 AM

The waterpump wasnt changed so i'm just guessing but i would imagine he has a good case against the garage.

When i see him next i'll ask him what the outcome was,also if it was a vauxhaul dealer service shop that did the work.

mickebo - 22/1/06 at 01:49 AM

working Opel/saab/chevrokorea