Board logo

Race exhaust systems
jecuk - 6/2/06 at 12:32 PM

Any suggestions on good suppliers of custom exhaust systems for a bike engined car. Around London (preferably Berks/Bucks/Oxfordshire).

ChrisGamlin - 6/2/06 at 12:45 PM

For a complete system Simpson Race Exhausts in Slough do some very high quality stuff, but it wont be cheap at around £7-800 for a custom manifold, plus £2-300 for a silencer.

Kissy - 6/2/06 at 12:52 PM

Powerspeed in Ashford, Kent. Bit further. I dropped the chassis w/engine fitted off one Saturday, and picked up the next. 300 quid for the s/s manifold. They sold me all the bits to make a silencer (inc. spun stainless end caps) for 70 quid.
Link to pic: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=engine%20above%20l-h.JPG
I'd say not the best, but for the money it's good, and at least they kept the primaries equal length.

NS Dev - 6/2/06 at 01:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
For a complete system Simpson Race Exhausts in Slough do some very high quality stuff, but it wont be cheap at around £7-800 for a custom manifold, plus £2-300 for a silencer.

Will second that opinion, might be a tad less than that on price as well.

Shame it's still out of my price range, but the quality is unquestionable, absolutely superb.

ChrisGamlin - 6/2/06 at 01:31 PM

Yeh might be, I based that on the approx price they gave me of ~£6-700+VAT for my R1 system when I made an enquiry this time last year, although that was only an over the phone estimate and I suspect prices may fluctuate depending on time of year - I bet at this time of year they are flat out with race stuff so may offer a cheaper price when they aren't so busy.

Im hopefully getting a silencer from them though, 7" x 29" with spun end caps, compared to other high quality repackable silencers on the market like Raceline and SBD their prices aren't bad, should come out at under £300.

[Edited on 6/2/06 by ChrisGamlin]

NS Dev - 6/2/06 at 01:35 PM

that sounds about what they quoted me "approx" at the autosport show.

ned - 6/2/06 at 02:16 PM

Yup, as NS Dev knows, my car is booked in at Simpsons for mid March, quoted £750-800 inc silencer suggested @ 7" x 26".

Ned.

ChrisGamlin - 6/2/06 at 02:41 PM

Ah thats pretty good if it includes a silencer, Im sure when I asked the price was manifold only, or thats the impression I got.

Is that plus or including VAT?

Chris

[Edited on 6/2/06 by ChrisGamlin]

NS Dev - 6/2/06 at 02:55 PM

excl vat afaik

James - 6/2/06 at 03:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ned
quoted £750-800 inc

Ned.

Zoiks!

You could just about buy an inverter, go on a TIG stainless college course, buy the stainless and hire a tube bender for that!

Atleast it'll look better than mine.... not difficult!!!

Cheers,
James

ChrisGamlin - 6/2/06 at 03:17 PM

Ah but all the tools make a nice manifold not

Looking at these collectors, they really do a very nice job and you can see where the extra labour and skill goes in compared to the £300 off the shelf manifolds.

Chris

DarrenW - 6/2/06 at 03:28 PM

Id recommend you give Mac#1 a call for exhausts. My pinto stainless system is great and all in was less than £500. They have just been getting a new bender (tube bender that is!!!) and have produced some nice bike systems recently.