Board logo

Project Assistance
Dizzy_G - 23/3/06 at 07:04 PM

Hi all,

I was directed over here from nefarious on PPC forum.

I'm looking for some help with a project. I'm to redesign an engine component using a ceramic.

What I’m looking for is drawings/dimension/part files of any of these components, Pistons, valves, lifters, cams & liners, if anyone is will to share them. (if possible in Pro E format)

I have an engine myself from a gallant but it’s buried under loads of wood and it will probably be the summer before I see it again.

I do not have to make the parts, just redesign them and run FEA and thermal analysis on them.

I would really appreciate any assistance.

Regards
Paul.

Hope i have this in the right section

cossey - 23/3/06 at 09:44 PM

arent most ceramics far too brittle for use in engines (hence the cermic coatings on metal parts)

Dizzy_G - 24/3/06 at 01:23 PM

Most are but there are some ver fancy one available now.

Anyhow is that not part of the fun of the project, trying to redesign the components.

I had been think of doing a piston and using a forged alu insert to take most of the loading from the wrist pin.

I ahve not fully decided yet what i'm going to do but it looks liek there are no drawings to parts available.

jos - 24/3/06 at 02:20 PM

Why not speak to a local scrap yard and ask them for some piston heads, con rods other componets from a few different manufatcurers and then model them using your own measurements.

Dizzy_G - 25/3/06 at 08:25 AM

thats what its going to come down to i think, problem is i have 5 other projects on the go and to be honest i don't really have the time. Was just seeing if some would give me a dig out.

Thanks for the help guys.
P

theconrodkid - 25/3/06 at 08:27 AM

i belive cummins were working on a ceramic block some years ago

Dizzy_G - 25/3/06 at 05:37 PM

There is a company who produce a fully ceramic rotary engine at the mo, fuel eff and emmission are supposed to be greatly improved.
Ceramic lifters are supposed to be quiet common in Diesel engines now too. In Trucks mostly from what i have found out.