Board logo

Pinto cam or head change
jamesbond007ltk - 11/7/06 at 04:58 PM

My car is currently powered by a 1600 pinto with twin 40's. I want more power but am going to have to stick with 1600 to prevent the insurance companies creeping up behind me, pulling down my trousers and....

Anyway, i have read that putting a cam from a 2.0 into the existing 1.6 head will make some difference due to the cam profiles.

However, seeing as my head is not suited for unleaded petrol i am considering swapping the head for a 2.0. The question i have is, will a 2.0 head fit on my 1600 block? Is it worth doing?

Cheers

Rich

mookaloid - 11/7/06 at 05:45 PM

I would invest in a fast road cam from kent cams or piper, then do a bit of DIY porting on your current head,

The cams come up on ebay fairly often for not much money.

Cheers

Mark

roadboy - 11/7/06 at 06:24 PM

I'm fairly sure the 2.0 head will have a larger combustion chamber hence lowering the CR & reducing performance
Regds
Ian

andyharding - 11/7/06 at 06:41 PM

Changing for the 2L head will lower the CR and you will lose power.

A Piper 285 cam will give you a reasonable gain. I would couple this with porting, polishing and skimming to take the CR up to 10.5:1 on the head you have. Don't worry about the unleaded Pinto heads are rock hard.

andyharding - 11/7/06 at 06:59 PM

The "how to make my Pinto go faster" question comes up a lot. Mark: do you fancy putting an article on carbuilders.info about Pinto tuning?

mookaloid - 11/7/06 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
The "how to make my Pinto go faster" question comes up a lot. Mark: do you fancy putting an article on carbuilders.info about Pinto tuning?

I could do a bit but it would mainly be references to other peoples work who know a lot more about it than me

Cheers

Mark

TangoMan - 12/7/06 at 09:36 PM

The 2.0 has a better cam and larger valves, but also larger chambers so no good for the 1.6.

Is it possible to use 2.0 valves in a 1.6 head as this would give a good improvement if coupled with a 2.0 or performance cam.

fully sideways - 13/7/06 at 05:29 PM

Hi, yes it is possible to use 2.0 valves in a 1.6 head, they will just need the valve seats cutting ..
match with a 2.0 or aftermarket cam and i bit more compression you should be ok..

or if you are crafty you can build a 2.0 into a 1.6 block ...!

What Carb are you using ?
Vernier cam ?

Hope this helps

Andrew